Apple TV Connect to older Trinitron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Has anyone hooked up an Apple TV to a circa 1998 Sony Trinitron 32" (or whatever sized) TV? I'm still living in 1998 and I just haven't had the need to replace my TV with something newer yet. I'm wondering how the AppleTV experience is on an older TV with only RCA and S-Video inputs? Has anyone actually done this and care to comment on whether it was worth it or not? How did the connections go and what hardware connectors were needed to do it. Was the video quality decent or was there a lot of degradation in signal due to the connection? etc... Thanks! Trying to justify whether I should get an AppleTV used at a decent price, or just continue to use my 5.5 Gen iPod to view ripped and purchased digital media on my TV.
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
the apple tv only supports 16:9 tv's, I don't think there is a way to get it to work on an older model tv even with adaptors or special hardware, unless you are willing to spend more on a down converter then you would on a new tv.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
http://www.apple.com/appletv/connect.html

Here is the back of the Apple TV. There is HDMI and Component Video. No SVHS and no Composite Video. I love the older Sony's like yours but I don't think you can use the Apple TV with it.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Bummer, I though so but was holding out hope. Thanks for the advice!
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook core 2, 2gb and an 8gb Iphone with scratches on the screen
im glad you ask this question i was just about to buy an appletv for my tinitron but not now. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
the apple tv only supports 16:9 tv's, I don't think there is a way to get it to work on an older model tv even with adaptors or special hardware, unless you are willing to spend more on a down converter then you would on a new tv.

That's not entirely true - I was planning on upgrading to HDTV anyway, but I bought my AppleTV when it came out I already had a 32" JVC 4:3 tube-TV that was bought new in 2002 that had component input, AppleTV worked perfect in 480p and it was in 4:3 ratio. Now I have 1080i and it looks even better. =)

But if you have a TV with component (R-Gr-Bl) input, it may just work but be ready if it doesn't (or already be planning on upgrading to an HD setup). My green input was shared with the yellow composite, component mode had to be enabled by on-screen display via remote before it would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Works on my Sony wega 32 in. Its a 4x3 I run it in 480p sometimes the video has a black bar on one side with the video slightly shifted to one side but its all on the screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.