Need Help on version of OS X 10.4 Tiger

Reaction score
I have a MA699LL/A Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz MacBook. The Drive is wiped and I'm kinda new to the Mac Scene I just don't know which version of the OS Tiger 10.4 you need for it. I'll have to buy it because I don't have the original Restore Discs. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There's actually only one version of 10.4, the rest are just system updates. So just buy a retail copy of OS X and then you'll get the latest updates through Software Update.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok I was just making sure that it had to be the 10.4 because I have A different version its 10.4.6, AHT version 3A104 Disc Version 1.0 . But considering if it says it will not install on this computer, its obviously a wrong version. So you say 10.4 ok then thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only way it wouldn't install is if you have the install discs to a Mac that is not of the same model as the one you have. So if you tried to use iMac install discs on your Macbook, it wouldn't let you, and the same applies for any other non-Macbook install disc. Heck, you may not even be able use discs designed for a different generation Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Stop right there! :)

OS X 10.5 Leopard will be out to buy, probably on either 23rd or 30th October.

I'd really recommend you wait, even if you can't use your Mac at all for a couple of weeks.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, chicago228.

Warning: If you buy a retail full install copy of Tiger, it is only good to install on PowerPC Macs.

If you really need Tiger (plus the bundled software and hardware diagnostic tool) right now, it would be best if you contacted Apple and asked instead for a replacement of your Restore disks that way it would install or be useful for your Intel-based Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to Mac-forums, chicago228.

Warning: If you buy a retail full install copy of Tiger, it is only good to install on PowerPC Macs.

You're kidding right? How could an Intel copy not be available almost two years after Intel machines have been out?

OP
C
Reaction score
I thought about calling Apple to ask for a replaceent of the restore disks. But the thing is, that this computer could be registered under another name. Wouldn't it need to be registered under my name and my info for them to say "Okay we'll send you the restore disks." I thought I remembered seeing something that you needed proof of purchase for the machine.

M

MacHeadCase

You're kidding right? How could an Intel copy not be available almost two years after Intel machines have been out?

Nope, trav did some research and on Apple's webpage, it does specify it is for PowerPC somewhere. We then assumed that Apple believed that Intel-based Mac owners would keep their restore disks safely at hand for reinstalls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Plus you gotta remember that Intels came out after Tiger was released. Since all Intel Macs come with restore discs, there really isnt a need to update the retails discs, because people with Intel Macs aren't gonna be buying it.

Except in a case like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Simple: every Intel Mac shipped from the factory with a full install of Tiger, and Tiger restore disks.

Why bother to put out a boxed release of something that every potential customer already has? The only people who'd buy it are the careless sort that have lost their factory disks...which is a pretty small market, overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
just curious here....

when you bought the MacBook, I presume just like Windows, the disc(s) are just for convenience, what you really are getting is the license, so in reality, it matters not where you got the copy from, as long as you can run OSX Tiger legally on the MacBook?

at least I'd hope so, or I'd expect Apple to replace those discs with minimal effort and preferably minimal costs too :) as I haven't been able to make a backup of my recovery discs :| Super Duper reports the image file ever so slightly smaller than the actual disc, and I don't have any DL discs to test it on.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As I understand it, a set of replacement discs is available for $50 (US) - or so I'm told from another poster who was essentially asking the same question. I advised him to contact Apple and he was quoted $50.

Like someone else in this thread already said, you might be better off just to wait for Leopard.

M

MacHeadCase

True, cwa, but buying Leopard won't take care of the lost bundled software installers while getting the restore disks will. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
hmz... how easy is it make backup copies of the restore discs.... that work preferably? :)

although I have no intention of losing or damaging them, you just never know... I still have my VAIO and Acer ones in perfect nick, but then again, I just used the backup discs, and kept the originals safe and as unused as possible. heck, my Windows 98 first edition original is still in perfect condition :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.