Upgrading from Geforce2MX to Radeon 9000 64mb

S

satman68

Could anyone advise on the following.
I am running Panther 10.3 on a Quicksilver G4 733mhz mac with a standard geforce2 mx 32mb graphics card that came with the mac. I feel that 10.3 runs a little slow with the rendering package I use, strata studio pro CX and the window draging in os X seems a little sluggish. Am I right in believing that if I upgrade to the Radeon 9000 pro I should see some increase in speed regarding the graphics. ie rending time inproved, window draging smoother and wireframe movement faster. Anyones advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Satman68

OP
L

llaamaboy

satman68 said:
Could anyone advise on the following.
I am running Panther 10.3 on a Quicksilver G4 733mhz mac with a standard geforce2 mx 32mb graphics card that came with the mac. I feel that 10.3 runs a little slow with the rendering package I use, strata studio pro CX and the window draging in os X seems a little sluggish. Am I right in believing that if I upgrade to the Radeon 9000 pro I should see some increase in speed regarding the graphics. ie rending time inproved, window draging smoother and wireframe movement faster. Anyones advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Satman68

Probably not much at all ... newer shooters will probably do better. If 10.4 dumps graphics onto VRam, then YES!!

Hope that helps

OP
M

MoltenLava

Yes, I think upgrading the videocard will help speed up the overall response of the system a lot. Quartz Extreme on Panther relies on the videocard's texture engine for rendering windows. GeForce2 MX is hardly a fast videocard these days. But I don't know if getting Radeon 9000 would qualify as an upgrade. You should get Radeon 9500 or higher for noticeable performance increase. If you are concerned with budget, get GeForce4 MX. That's what I have in my dual 1GHz Quicksilver, and I am very satisfied with the performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.