Wake from sleep with bluetooth keyboard/mouse

Reaction score
Hello...

I have a MacBook with an external monitor. I want to close the MacBook, let it go to sleep, then wake it up with the external bluetooth keyboard or mouse.

But the keyboard and mouse only wake the MacBook if the power cord is plugged in. They don't wake it up if it's on battery.

Applecare seemed to think this was normal, but I sorta had bad luck and I suspect the person helping me wasn't really clear on the issue. The bluetooth preferences allow to wake with bluetooth, and again it works when the power cord is plugged in. It just doesn't work on battery.

MacBook Core2Duo, Apple bluetooth keyboard (white, not the new aluminum) and bluetooth mighty mouse.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Just leave it open and run the external spanned. That's what I do. My external is mounted on a pedestal and acts as main with menubar, HD icon, apps defaulting to that monitor, with the built-in LCD as the secondary, and contains the (enlarged for visibility while it's connected) Dock. It's easy, it's powerful, and you really know whether it's asleep or not.

I have a whole ritual I go through prior to putting it to sleep, since it seems that if I don't turn off the mouse before I close the lid, the mouse seems to wake it up even with the lid closed. Never plugged in the external when it seems like it's awake with the lid closed, but since I take advantage of the monitor spanning I've never bothered to try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
Hello...

I have a MacBook with an external monitor. I want to close the MacBook, let it go to sleep, then wake it up with the external bluetooth keyboard or mouse.

But the keyboard and mouse only wake the MacBook if the power cord is plugged in. They don't wake it up if it's on battery.

Applecare seemed to think this was normal, but I sorta had bad luck and I suspect the person helping me wasn't really clear on the issue. The bluetooth preferences allow to wake with bluetooth, and again it works when the power cord is plugged in. It just doesn't work on battery.

MacBook Core2Duo, Apple bluetooth keyboard (white, not the new aluminum) and bluetooth mighty mouse.

Any suggestions?
Eh...sadly that is the way it is supposed to work. You can unplug the chord after you wake the MacBook up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.