New aspect on old problem

Reaction score
Hey guys,

machine: powerbook g4 15", 1.33ghz 1.gig ram, 60 gig HD

hope this is in the right spot and theres not one already covering this topic. that being said HELP ME!

so i did the archive and install once, then i did the Mac OSX install after that. kind of on accident/out of ignorance of what the archive and install was. Basically I thought that that I needed to run the install and I get the feeling that since i did the install after the archive and install i lost my data.

Bottom line is that i am having all sorts of trouble most of all i can't find the disk that has all my original data. thats music and pics that i'm mostly worried about but a decent amount of some Office docs too. I'm not sure if the archive and install preserves these files.

the strangest thing to me is that I follow the instructions on how load a disk image with the disk utility from the system preferences file but the disk i load has none of my info on it. also i dont see a disk that is named after my user name, just a folder that says 'users' that is empty. However i can see that my HD is still as full as it was before i did the archive and install.

what i'd really like to do after reading some of the articles posted here is back up my content and do full erase and install but i'd like to recover my data first. can anyone tell me if im screwed?

OP
M
Reaction score
ok, now i'm just giving up and trying to erase and install but my installer wont give me a destination to install the MAC OS X software too...very disheartening.

thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this.

OP
M
Reaction score
update, not that anyone is viewing this thread besides me ;) but just in case

after reviewing previous posts i think my HD has totally crapped out on me. I can see it in my disk utility but i can't verify or repair it. i do have the option of erasing it but i don't see how that could do any good. as i stated earlier i can boot from the repair discs but when i get past the license agreement where it should list my HD as the destination to install to the window is blank. just wanted to see if anyone could confirm that its new HD time. thanks again.

c

OP
M
Reaction score
read an article here http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/hitachi_travelstar60GB_7200/travelstar60GB_7200rpm.html stating that this is one of the best drives you can get to replace what i had. i would like another opinion in case anyone has something to add. also the report is from 2003 so i thought i might get some more up-to-date info

found one here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1638049&CatId=8 $90 + free shipping, seems like a good deal, again if anyone knows something I don't i prefer to learn from others experience than my own blunders...

also if someone could point me towards a solid install guide that would be super :Smirk:

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.