Migration to MBP...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
I ran migration assistant a couple days ago to get my wife's macbook data over to her new mbp. Her mbp already had files on it because we didn't have the firewire cable the day we bought the mbp so she used it for a couple days before we ran the migration utility.

This morning she was looking for a movie she made in iMovie 08 before the migration and she can't find it. When she clicks on the iMovie icon on the dock it starts iMovie 06 and when she goes into the iMovie 08 folder and runs it, the projects list is blank.

Any ideas?

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
I ran migration assistant a couple days ago to get my wife's macbook data over to her new mbp. Her mbp already had files on it because we didn't have the firewire cable the day we bought the mbp so she used it for a couple days before we ran the migration utility.

This morning she was looking for a movie she made in iMovie 08 before the migration and she can't find it. When she clicks on the iMovie icon on the dock it starts iMovie 06 and when she goes into the iMovie 08 folder and runs it, the projects list is blank.

Any ideas?

Tim

I'm not a mac user (yet), but here's a guess. It may or may not be useful.

It sounds like when you migrated, it installed iMovie 06 over iMovie 08. It may have deleted associated files with iMovie 08, but hopefully not. However, because it is an OLDER version of the program, it probably wouldn't read or recognize newer files, so it wouldn't list them under the "projects list". Try manually browsing for the file. Also, iMovie 06 probably wouldn't be able to open it.

Once again, to restate, I'm not a mac user, so sorry if you don't find this useful at all. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.