• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

copying or backing up "protected" DVDs

phc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel imac 24" 2.8GHz, 8GB ipod Nano, 16gb white iphone, 250gb apple tv, 8gb iphone.
Hi guys

My girlfriend and i recently had a 4d scan of our unborn baby and were given a DVD of the occassion and a photo CD.

When i looked into copying the DVD and doing something clever with it in I Life ie Web and DVD etc it appeared to have a no entry sign on it and i couldnt copy it.

Is there something stupid that im not doing or do i need a specifice peice of software to do this

regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Handbrake can be used for backing up DVDs. Obviously you should not use this for copying commercial DVDs...

I have no idea why a DVD of your ultra-scan would be protected in this way though.

OP
phc

phc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel imac 24" 2.8GHz, 8GB ipod Nano, 16gb white iphone, 250gb apple tv, 8gb iphone.
I suppose that its because you have to buy a package and they want you to spend more money.

All i want to do is make a web site using i life package and have this 10 min footage or sections of it uploaded for veiwing by remote family etc.

OP
phc

phc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and sorry forgot to say thankyou

looking at web site now

regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Oh and sorry forgot to say thankyou

looking at web site now

regards

You're welcome. Convert the DVD to QuickTime format for best compatibility and smallest file size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.