Essential apps for the new mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Sorry if this has been posted before, but it's kind of a vague search term. What apps should I get when I get my powerbook? What is the best AIM client? I hear the official AOL version is pretty crappy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I love Proteus because it connects to all the networks, AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, etc.. Best client that just deals with AIM is iChat of course :)

What other apps are you looking to get? or types I should say...

P

pedrothekevin

Actually I use the regular AIM mac client and I love it. The ads on the top even look cool since the client is stretched more horizontally, making the ads look widescreen hehe. Also you can monitor exactly what sounds you want on and off, as opposed to the newest PC AIM client, you couldn't control every single sound.

But if you use multiple chat services, you may want an all-in-one type client, like previously mentioned.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm also looking for an app that will display stuff like cpu usage, net traffic in/out, RAM usage, and disk space. I use an app for the pc right now called sysmetrix that does all that. I'm also looking for a text editor that edits files on ftp servers on-the-fly without having to upload it. I hear BBEdit is good for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
To monitor CPU and memory usage, try the CPU Moniotor and Process Viewer apps in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. Not the flashiest programs, but they can be useful. You can probably find more on Versiontracker or MacUpdate.

BBEdit or it's smaller and cheaper sibling, TextWrangler, will edit files from FTP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep CPU Monitor and Process Viewer will both work and I love BBEdit and use it all the time :)

C

Cloudane

I believe iChat works with AIM? I don't use it though.

You might want to grab FireFox for those unusual occasions when a site refuses to work with Safari. Windows Media Player if you grab any trailers etc as they're often in .wmv format. Ditto with RealPlayer (which seems fine on a Mac btw, not like the spyware/nagware ridden pile of poo they make for the PC and that made me swore never to touch Real.com on a PC again)

Something like OnyX for doing maintenance to keep the Mac running smoothly.

Consider VirtualPC if you have any PC software that you can't get for the Mac.

Umm... that's all I can think of right now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Another useful IM app is adium. It connects to nearly all services and is very customisable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need to check Adium out again.. last time it still was not up to par with Proteus, but I hear it's doing a lot better these days, so Ill have to check it out.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone...I just received the shipment notification from apple. Hopefully it'll be here in a few days!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.