Which Hard Drive for MBP?

Reaction score
I planning on buying a MBP for video editing (motion 3 and Final cut 6) but I cant dicide between the 3 options of:
A.) 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
B.) 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm [Add $135]
C.) 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 4200 rpm [Add $135]
Will the additonal 1800 rpm in c be that noticable speed wise? Also do you think 160GB is large enough?
Thanks in advance, Spencer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
You WILL see a difference in speed when editing movies. Because editing movies involves a lot of rendering, you want the fastest HDD. 160GB @ 7200 rpm is the one you want. 160GB might not be big enough for movie space, but you can easily fix that by buying an external HDD. I would purchase one with a FireWire 800 port for the high transfer speed.

You also want to purchse 4GB RAM. Don't buy RAM from Apple because they over charge. Get the standard 2GB and then buy a 4GB Kit from online, they go for about $200. This will make a huge difference as well.

Good Luck with your purchase!

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ill go with option B then, btw I know of Apple's overpriced ram every, company computer overcharges on ram its like some kond of standard, dell is the worst though.

Reaction score
I kindof wish I ordered my MBP so that I would have gotten a faster HD. imo, get the faster hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.