MAC to Windows Remote Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24" - 2.8ghz - 2 Gig Ram - 500 Gig HD
I have been using Windows since 3.1. Don't laugh, I am only 28 :)

Anyhow, my job is that of an IT professional. I MUST remain tethered to Windows in some form or another for work. However, that does NOT mean my home PC does. I would like to STRICTLY use my mac as my main machine. The only problem I forsee banishing a couple of minor issues here and there, is the fact that I need to connect remotely to work (windows).

Is that possible on a Mac? Going from Mac to Windows remote desktop? Or will I suffer and continue to have to use my Windows laptop?

Thanks!
Kris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Windows Remote Desktop won't work if your connecting from your mac at home to your pc at work assuming that your work is not your home.

Again assuming that this new beta version works like the old WRD, where you can only connect to windows computers on your local network.

For this you would have to have Chicken of the VNC on mac and UltraVNC at work.

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows Remote Desktop won't work if your connecting from your mac at home to your pc at work assuming that your work is not your home.

Again assuming that this new beta version works like the old WRD, where you can only connect to windows computers on your local network.

Oh, so no home to work connections?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Oh, so no home to work connections?

****!

No not necessarily. You just need to forward a port from work and use ultravnc to serve the vnc. Then connect to the vnc server from "Chicken of the Vnc" on your mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Um...no...not the case at all.

RDC will work just fine from anywhere VNC does. But both require that any firewall(s) allow their traffic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Kris: I'm in nearly the same boat as you; 29, been using Windows since 3.1, and MUST have some type of connection to Windows due to my job in IT (supporting Windows). I use the Remote Desktop Client linked above with no problems what so ever. You just need to be able to get into your work network from home, no different than using a Windows machine at home. I connect via VPN and fire up RDC to connect to my work desktop where all my admin tools are installed. Easy as cake after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah, download the RDC beta. It's better than the old (1.0.3) one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
You can download and use either of the following 2 options.

1) Microsoft RDP client - this requires that you have access to setting up port forwarding in your companies firewall to allow the traffic to be directed to your work systems and that your target machine have RDP running as a service. If you are not the network admin this is not likly to be an option for you.

2) Setup a free account at www.logmein.com and install the client on your work machine. With this you can have an unlimited number of workstations (MS or Mac) setup and you can remote into any of them from any browser at any computer anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The RDC beta sucks. Do not use it. You'll get a horrid impression!

I use windows machines at work and sometimes connect from home with my mac using RDC.
VNC is ssllooww. LogMeIn in ssslllooowwweeerrr. And RDC has built in file sharing when connected AND xfers audio too (if so desired)!

I've spent a long time trying out many remote desktop configs. RDC is the best for controlling PCs remotely.

FYI, RDC can run on other ports than the default 3389. I set mine to xxxx so that you can have multiple rdc'd computers through the same router/firewall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Get a better internet connection. Any of the options you listed work with 0 latency and as if I were right in front of the computer when I use them. And I use logmein daily to administer the networks of 5 different companies. RDP daily to connect to 2 different companies, and VNC to connect to 3 computers that I haven't bothered putting logmein on yet.

OP
AbSoluTc
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kris: I'm in nearly the same boat as you; 29, been using Windows since 3.1, and MUST have some type of connection to Windows due to my job in IT (supporting Windows). I use the Remote Desktop Client linked above with no problems what so ever. You just need to be able to get into your work network from home, no different than using a Windows machine at home. I connect via VPN and fire up RDC to connect to my work desktop where all my admin tools are installed. Easy as cake after that.

Thanks kford. From what I am gathering, it will work just fine as long as the firewalls allow it? As of now, I don't see why not. We don't have firewalls with the setup we have.

When I connect from home - I connect to the office computer (no firewall). That computer then has access to every other network I need to connect to. Those networks are firewalled, but it does not matter because once I get to the office system it should be smooth sailing from there. My only concearn was point A to point B. Again, it just sounds like the firewalls need to be in check.

Sounds good to me!

Since your situation is nearly the same as mine - what do you think of the Mac OS ? Obviously you like it if your still here :) - I would guess it was not too hard for you if at all? I personally am tired of the crashing, the constant "Mr. Fix It" stuff I have to do to my own machine and blah blah blah. I want something that just works you know. Come home, hope on and do what I want!

Thank you all for the help/advice :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Better connection? It's not fibre. But I'm not home/cable business/cable.
LogMeIn runs through Java. That is the bottleneck. It's not the pipe.

RDC gets the screen before it hits the video card. It's piped right out the connections. It's super faster because of that.
All the others wait for the screen to be drawn. Then they read the screen. Then they send the images. Now add java on top of that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
Using the MAC RDC beta with no problems here... We use Hamachi to access remote systems. Hamachi X Beta works great for me on the Mac.

Reaction score
I found that RDC was slow and it always crashed on me. I started using CoRD and never looked back.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could never get the rudimentary implementation of hamachi to work reliably on the mac. The last hamachi update was june 2006 (the unofficial gui was updated may 2007).
Left on for several hours, it will eat ALL of your ram on an intel mac. 2GBs of ram? POOF gone.

CoRD crashes with multiple sessions and will not connect to Vista. Try RDC Menu instead!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since your situation is nearly the same as mine - what do you think of the Mac OS ? Obviously you like it if your still here :) - I would guess it was not too hard for you if at all?

It's looking pretty doubtful I'll ever go back to Windows at home. OS X isn't all that much difference from a basic user perspective. Click this, double click that, right click here (or command click), it's all pretty similar. The overall enjoyment of my computer though has increased significantly. For most users, they could switch to OS X will minimal issues. Hope you are enjoying the Mac Kris!

Reaction score
I'm confused, I'm using Windows Remote Desktop:mac

I have remote desktop enabled on my pc

I know my ip address for my pc

I login on my mac but it wont connect

Do I have to configure anything on my mac end to get this to work?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.