Possible to set the output lower then 60hz?

Reaction score
I am attempting to hook up my macbook to an old tv i have, to use as a home entertainment device. When messing around with the resolutions I noticed the tv displayed a better picture on the lower resolutions. Right now the lowest I can set it is, 640x480 at 60hz. It shows the picture the best out of all the resolutions... but its still a bad picture so I assume I need to go lower but I can't. Is there a way to make it lower? Thank in advance

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay I need instructions on setting this up...

So I figured maybe my tv is old and crappy. So I tried it on my other tv that is much newer, and got the EXACT same result, So now I'm believing either I am setting it up wrong in the first place, or my cable is junk and I should return it for a working one. Has anybody done this before? How do you do it? What I did as I assumed was the right way... Pluged the Mini dvi end into my MiniDvi slot on my macbook, then i plugged a s-video cable into my s-video slot on the adapter, then the other end of the cable into my TV's S-Video slot. Went onto the S-Video Channel on the TV and saw a very very distorted image of my MacBook's desktop. Did I do it right and my cable is busted? Or did I do it wrong and theres some settings I need to check up on in the computer? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The problem is not resolution or Hz. It's the shape of the pixel.

CRT TVs use oval pixels. Yeah, that's right haha! Monitors use square. That's the issue. The computer interface looks like blurry on TVs. However photos and movie look and play just fine.

Or it could be that your TV just can't handle it. Try different resolutions. Not just the lowest.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You will not achieve a picture that you want to view on any TV from a computer using s-video. Doesn't matter whether it's CRT, LCD, Plasma or any other type you can think of.

It may be OK for watching movies and possibly some games, depending on your own discrepancy. But for most anything else, particularly text, browsing the web, etc.; you will never be satisfied with an s-video connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Bobtomay is right, the best I've ever acheived is a low-resolution interlaced display on a TV, which was unwatchable (this on a "Home Theatre" PC). TVs are no good for displaying computer output.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am sure you probably don't have the capability on the TV you're trying to use, but for others that may come across this thread, let me just add, moving to a VGA, DVI or HDMI connection from your computer to a Hi-def TV will produce a satisfactory display in most cases (depending on the OS).

Windows and Linux will both produce a quite satisfactory display on either 720p or 1080 displays. OS X is fine for displaying pictures and movies on a HDTV screen, but for text is definitely at the bottom of the heap and really requires a monitor.

And just as an FYI: Any signal that goes through an s-video cable maxes out at 640 x 480. You may see an improvement by setting the resolution to this on the computer, as your video card is going to be a better converter than what is in the cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I donno... I was quite happy watching movies and photo slideshows with svideo from laptop to 27" crt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.