hard drive full of nothing

Reaction score
i have a powerbook g4 running 10.4.10. my original hardrive died, so i replaced it with a 160GB Seagate. it runs really well and formate with no issues. it recognizes that the drive is 160gb (148gb after formatting), but now its saying there is only 14GB left, ive installed a few programs, but it shouldntbe anywhere near full. i ran a program called Whatsize, that sizes up all the folders.

heres a screen shot:
Picture1.png

as you can see the memory ive used doesnt add up to how much its saying is used. so does anyone have any ideas or had this problem before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
wow thats bizzare, sorry i cant help.....

Reaction score
do you have any big torrents running? this may be completely off, but i had that problem the other day. with azureus, it already made the calculations and subtracted for what i was DLing, if that makes sense

OP
D
Reaction score
not at the moment. i use transmission. but the thing is, if you look at the screen shot, my data only really uses about 70gb, thats the strange part, even if there was some hidden data, it should show up as being in some folder. even the hidden folders show up. i might take it down to the apple store tomorow, i have a friend who works there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
If you go to your disk utility, what does it show?

OP
D
Reaction score
what does this mean? does this mean if i repair my disk it will erase everything thats on it?
Picture1-1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, a repair is generally non-destructive.

To actually do a repair, you have to boot into the install disc that came with your Mac and run Disk Utility from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.