Garage Band - recording audio sounds muffled, quiet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Hope someone can help~

When I record into Garage Band using an external sound card, I have to turn the master volume output on my Pioneer mixer WAY down (like down to one green line on the meter), otherwise the input levels on the track I am recording in GB go completely into the red. I don't want to get any distortion or clipping in the recording, so it seems like turning the volume down on the mixer is the only option I have - but when the recording is finished, it's really quiet and even muffled sounding, not as clear as the original source. If I burn it to CD, it is much quieter than a normal CD and you have to turn the volume way up, then there is usually hissing in your speakers...

Does anyone have any advice? Should I turn down the decibel level of the track I am recording in GB? I want the resulting recording to be just as clear and loud as the original audio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.