a HUGE ??

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm using I'm 21' iMac since 4 months and it was gold until recently... I wanted to game a little bit more and after trying Parallel Desktops and VMware Fusion, I've end up deleting 'em both cause I had to split both my RAM and Video card perfomance + it was limited to direct X 8.

So, after talking to two of my friends who owns a mac too, they both told me to use Boot Camp since it completely install a new partition on your cpu with windows. I end up downloading it, install the package and the installation guide, etc. The assistant make a new partition (60g because I have ALOT of games) and then they ask me to pop the windows cd in.

Now, the problems begin, after installing windows, my cpu reboot, and install windows again?! I've just canceled it and tought : ''Alright, screw the gaming''. I restart my mac and I end up being stuck at a beautiful bright grey screen... I've tried every single technique to boot the OS, nothing worked. At least I've been able to eject my CD with Eject + left click.

I've tried the Ram reset method with the command - Alt - P and R at the same and it didn't work...

Now I'm forced to send my iMac back to Apple for a ''cure''...

What went wrong? I don't know.. I mean 2 of my friends are, at the moment, using boot camp without a single problem, playing brand new games like bioshock...

Anyone got an idea what went wrong? I've forgot to say that I tried two times to install Boot Camp, same thing happens the first time but I was able to reformat my entire disk, losing everything =''(

Thx god this time I've saved all my school work on my usb key.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you still have your iMac there? If so power on and hold down the OPTION key and keep it down. See if a menu comes up. If so choose OSX.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you still have your iMac there? If so power on and hold down the OPTION key and keep it down. See if a menu comes up. If so choose OSX.

Thx for your fast reply, but yeah I've alrdy tried this too, the cursor appear but freeze 30 seconds later =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Try safe booting (hold shift while it is booting). Or you can try reinstalling OS X again. Boot from the install DVD by popping it in and pressing C while booting up..

OP
M
Reaction score
Nothing worked... I've tried:
Bypass startup drive and boot from external (or CD).... CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE
Boot from CD (Most late model Apples) ................. C
Zap PRAM .............................................. CMD-OPT-P-R
Disable Extensions .................................... SHIFT
Rebuild Desktop ....................................... CMD-OPT
Close finder windows.(hold just before finder starts).. OPT
Boot with Virtual Memory off........................... CMD
Select volume to start from............................ OPT
Startup in OSX if OS9 and OXS in boot partition........ X or CMD-X
Start in Firewire drive mode........................... T

I've tried with both my windows AND OS OX CD...
I'm really tired and mad...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So if you put your OSX DVD that came with the Mac, hold C right after the chime, the DVD will not boot into the installer?

OP
M
Reaction score
No it won't... I can hear the CD spinning like crazy for a couple of seconds then it just stop like if my mac was not able to read it.

Actually the only thing I was able to do is to eject my CD by holding EJECT and the left button of mouse wich means my keyboard works..

Reaction score
No it won't... I can hear the CD spinning like crazy for a couple of seconds then it just stop like if my mac was not able to read it.

Actually the only thing I was able to do is to eject my CD by holding EJECT and the left button of mouse wich means my keyboard works..

I dont know if this is the right solution, can you try borrowing an external dvd drive and try to install d OSX installer from there? Maybe your built-in dvd drive have reading problems. not sure on this but give it a try. If you're iMac is intel based, you can boot from an external dvd drive, USB or Firewire (both works with intel, not with powerpc).

I am currently using bootcamp in booting to my windows. I just used my external dvd writer to install the windows xp (must be service pack 2, service pack 1 yields an error message and your installation will be half finished ) I have also tried installing the OSX tiger using external dvd writer, in USB and it also worked fine, it boots from the DVD.

OP
M
Reaction score
So if you put your OSX DVD that came with the Mac, hold C right after the chime, the DVD will not boot into the installer?

I dont know if this is the right solution, can you try borrowing an external dvd drive and try to install d OSX installer from there? Maybe your built-in dvd drive have reading problems. not sure on this but give it a try. If you're iMac is intel based, you can boot from an external dvd drive, USB or Firewire (both works with intel, not with powerpc).

I am currently using bootcamp in booting to my windows. I just used my external dvd writer to install the windows xp (must be service pack 2, service pack 1 yields an error message and your installation will be half finished ) I have also tried installing the OSX tiger using external dvd writer, in USB and it also worked fine, it boots from the DVD.

I will definelity gives it a try, someone also told me to open my mac.. take my HDD and plug it on another mac and then install OS X... You can be sure I'll try everything before sending in my mac for 2 months.

Thanks a lot sir =D

But now I do need help.

I've just put the files on my usb drive, now wich command do I press at starting to boot it?

Reaction score
I will definelity gives it a try, someone also told me to open my mac.. take my HDD and plug it on another mac and then install OS X... You can be sure I'll try everything before sending in my mac for 2 months.

Thanks a lot sir =D

But now I do need help.

I've just put the files on my usb drive, now wich command do I press at starting to boot it?

You're welcome and hope your problem will be resolved soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Press T for target disk mode (that makes it a firewire external drive)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Press T for target disk mode (that makes it a firewire external drive)

Yes holding T will turn your iMac into an external Firewire drive, and you can then connect it to another mac (perhaps somebody's macbook) and do something with the partitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Yes holding T will turn your iMac into an external Firewire drive, and you can then connect it to another mac (perhaps somebody's macbook) and do something with the partitions.

If you read above he has already done this.

Dude, I've had the same problems with a couple of intels. Never fear, Apple cleaned it all up in 3 days.

Alex

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks alot guys for your help and I've finally found a solution.

The problem is that I've used a SP1 Windows XP. Now, I know, it's my fault and I paid for it. The thing is that when you use Boot Camp with SP1, it overwrite the OS X partition instead of making a new one.

Now, I will use an external firewire drive at work, I'll put OS X and iPartition on it and I'll boot it via my Mac and I will delete the Windows partition without touching the mac one.

I just wanted to thanks you guys =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Now, the problems begin, after installing windows, my cpu reboot, and install windows again?!

I know you've found the reason for your problem, but when Windows installs it will restart and say 'press C to boot from CD'. You must ignore this message though and it will carry on installing. If you press C it will try and install Windows again and you'll be in a never ending loop!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.