Remote Image Capture

Reaction score
Hi. I have a PowerShot A75 (not great but does the job) which I "borrowed" from the parents. Anyways all the reviews I read on it mention that it can perform remote image capture from the Mac. Unfortunately the driver disc I have doesn't have the neccesary software on it (ImageBrowser), just some crappy ArcSoft thing, so either I chucked the disc with it on or I just didn't get it. Anyways, Canon only offer updates to download from the website, so is there anywhere (legal) I could download the software?
Failing that, does anyone know of a third party application that could do the same job?
Thanks in advance.

M

MacHeadCase

Which version is your ImageBrowser? Canon now has the latest version at 5.8.0.10.

I would suggest you visit the Canon website, give it a try and look for all the software updates for your camera model to make sure you are using the latest versions. They are free to download.

Edited to add:

And there's Canon capture but you'll have to install plenty of bits and, from a quick read, it's not clear at SourceForge how it'll work under OS X. Kilted1's idea is probably best. But do download the Canon software, it'll help you for free to work on our images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
OP
S
Reaction score
I have a trial of iStopMotion now, been playing with it with my built in iSight, haven't tried to get it to work with the PowerShot yet.

MacHeadCase, sorry I wasn't very clear, the problem is I don't actually have ImageBrowser, which I need for the remote capture and isn't offered on Canon's website except in upgrade form, which is useless if I don't have the application in the first place... which I don't. I'll check out iStopMotion's camera support and keep on hunting for the CD.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, plugged the cam into iStopMotion... problem is the computer only acknowledges the camera's existence if it's in Play mode, not Capture mode, so there is no live preview and no camera controls, so images aren't properly focused and actually look worse than on the iSight. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
The only thing I can think of is just take a series of pictures and import them... It does however take all the fun out of the whole process

Reaction score
My Powermac G4 isn't recognizing my Sony DSLR?

I have a Power mac G4 800mgz and for some reason it is not recognizing when my DSLR Camera is connected? I am running the lasted version of Tiger 10.4.10 my Image Capture usually boots up when it is connected. Has anyone had this problem before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
www.canon.com click on Americas(on map), then product information(below map), then products(upper left), then consumer products, then cameras(obvious, picture of an EOS camera), then support(under Canon banner)(or download library, they both take you to the same page actually), fill in the information for the camera and look for all the driver information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Power mac G4 800mgz and for some reason it is not recognizing when my DSLR Camera is connected? I am running the lasted version of Tiger 10.4.10 my Image Capture usually boots up when it is connected. Has anyone had this problem before?

To stop Image Capture from launching just open the prefereces in iMage capture (Cmd+,) then in one of the panes set it to "No application".. (I'm at work at present with a windows box) that should solve that un-wanted launch

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.