17" powerbook can't come soon enough

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Hey everyone. I've been considering a mac powerbook for quite some time. I'm a computer science student in college. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a powerbook yesterday for the upcoming fall semester. Here's what I got:

17 powerbook g4 1.5ghz
512mb RAM
128mb graphics memory
80gb ultra ata hdd (4200rpm)
superdrive
backlit keyboard
airport extreme
and whatever else is standard on the 17" models

I was wondering what accessories you guys reccomend I pick up. I already ordered a sleeve for it, and I may want to get a bluetooth mouse. If you know of any stores that have them that'd be great. Any other first timers' dos and don'ts you have would be awesome as well.

C

Cloudane

An iPod ;)

Definitely a mouse, I can almost guarantee you'll be cursing the scratchpad and single button within 24 hours :p A nice external mouse (buy a known decent brand like Logitech or MS, though I'm sure like most Mac users you don't 'do' cheap-and-nasty anyway :) ) will be one of the best, easiest and cheapest improvements you can get for it. Grab a good mouse mat if you can - whilst they're not strictly necessary for optical mice, some are especially designed to aid the optical sensor so look out for those (I got mine from PC World, but that's a UK store)

A graphics tablet if you intend to do any photoshop etc.

USB pen drive if you're going to be moving data around between machines (easier than writing CDs)

Do: keep the little packing divider that comes with it between the screen and the keyboard - continue using it, especially if you lose the little rubber dividers that separate ths screen from the keyboard. Prevents dirt being transferred etc.

Don't: leave it unattended at work or a public place (I learned this the hard way 2 weeks after buying it)

Otherwise there aren't that many dos and don'ts I can think of - MacOS is very resilient, it stands up to the worst of users fairly well :)

C

cplayo

hi! i bought the same powerbook (almost 15 inch...) for the same reasons, comp sci major in college. i absolutely love it, but i need to suggest that you invest in a nice mouse, the tracpad just doesnt do it for me. other than that, i would say pick up a game or two from the apple store, battlefield 1942 is really great.

C

cplayo

sorry i didnt mention the i-pod. it is a must have for any college student, or at least i think so. i cant imagine listening to music ever again without it.

I

IndianPowerbook

didn;t u participate in the Cram/Jam promotion. U order a powerbook and a iPod and u get like $200 back. sounds good to me

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I didn't want an ipod, I used to have a creative nomad jukebox and never used it. I know the ipods are superior to those but I just hardly used my mp3 player. For you powerbook guys how long did it take you to get it?

M

MoltenLava

Good choice of the hardware. You'll be very satisfied with your laptop. I've ordered my Powerbook twice. One was ready-built, and it was shipped from FL about two days after the order, and then took two more days to arrive. The next one was custom built. It was shipped from China about three days after the order, and I think it arrived the next day.

I agree, an iPod is a must. Resistance is futile. You'll be assimilated. ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe a graphics tablet is one of those square shaped pads that you can use a pen-type thing to move your mouse. Good for artists.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I decided to bite the bullet and get the ipod. I figure $200 back on a $260 ipod, you can't go wrong. They offered free laser engraving, too. I picked up a dock for it as well, total was about $310 or so. $200 back and that's ~$100 US for an ipod 20gb with dock!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
gort said:
Hey everyone. I've been considering a mac powerbook for quite some time. I'm a computer science student in college. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a powerbook yesterday for the upcoming fall semester. Here's what I got:

17 powerbook g4 1.5ghz
512mb RAM
128mb graphics memory
80gb ultra ata hdd (4200rpm)
superdrive
backlit keyboard
airport extreme
and whatever else is standard on the 17" models

I was wondering what accessories you guys reccomend I pick up. I already ordered a sleeve for it, and I may want to get a bluetooth mouse. If you know of any stores that have them that'd be great. Any other first timers' dos and don'ts you have would be awesome as well.

What accessories...

Well, avoid or keep it away from elderly people with a poor grip, tall buildings with windows or stairs looking over marble floors. Because that's the exact same model that went flying folks... Yes flying! All the way down twenty-three floors, during it's wake-up from sleep...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
gort said:
Well I decided to bite the bullet and get the ipod. I figure $200 back on a $260 ipod, you can't go wrong. They offered free laser engraving, too. I picked up a dock for it as well, total was about $310 or so. $200 back and that's ~$100 US for an ipod 20gb with dock!

OMG! 20Gb version doesn't come with dock... That's insane... :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
**** no... had it less than two weeks, just enough time to configure panther server, install all the applications that i need. Then my stupid father thought it was a good idea to put it in the car for me... yeah like i would forget it!

Good thing i never buy Apple Care, it'll be wasted as it's not transferable. He was just as much heart broken as I was, he gave me the full cash value plus a few hundred on top. For AppleCare, but still I haven't brought any.

Have a few spare bit's knocking around... should i need them. Who know's if i'm short of cash i might sell it on eBay. "PowerBook 17 Boxed" hehe

:D

C

Cloudane

Ouch, I feel sorry for your dad as well, I bet he felt really bad

Always handy to have some spares :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.