• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Shockingly bad results in iDVD. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D 4GIG Ram Glossy
Hi.
Simple really. I shoot video on my sony DV camera.
Transfer it to iMovie 08
Edit my video
Burn with iDVD
Put it in my DVD player.

Then i start to cry, because it looks SO bad!!! Soft picture, jagged lines EVERYWHERE!!.

Then i burned a photo slide show to a DVD using iDVD.
The same again..... i was so embarised when i showed my friends.
I love my MBP, i love Apple. Why is the quality of a movie or slidehow SO bad!!

What am i doing wrong?

Reaction score
I wish someone would answer you cause I've had the same thing happen.

I've done some crazy good quality movies using some sonycam DVD footage. Some turned out very bad, some outstading. I can't put my finger on what's causing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
How do you export your movie for iDVD to use? What codec are you using? You have not given enough information so I'm guessing a little.

I do not think you want to use Share-->Export Movie...

Likely you want to use Share-->Export Using QuickTime...

Use the Movie to DV Stream selection and play with the options as needed.

Reaction score
Just a thought, do you have any problem with commercial DVDs on your player or TV?

I've made over a dozen movies with imovie 6, including various special effects and have not had those problems. The play back has been with a cheapie DVD player on a HDTV, (but these are NOT HD movies)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.