Do I need to clear my user cache?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
just a few days ago I cleared my user cache using main menu. After I done that I found that my mac was running significantly faster. Does this mean you have to clean out your cache every few months to ensure that it is up to speed?

Another question; what does the daily, weekly and monthly scripts clean? is it your cache or is it something else?

M

MacHeadCase

Daily, weekly and monthly tasks all take care of something different in the Mac's maintenance.

If you look at the MainMenu window while it's running through any of the tasks, you'll notice it rotates logs, clears out certain junk files, etc.

Once in a while I'll launch MainMenu to execute the batch maintenance tasks which is a combination of various cleaning and rebuilding scripts. But for sure, each individual tasks have their own use.

As for the cache cleaning, I run it whenever I find my iMac is acting weird or slow: it usually fixes the problems right away. So once in every few months sounds about right to me.

Somewhere in Mac-Forums I posted months ago what all the rebuilding tasks were meant for so if you're interested in finding out about them, try searching for the info: they must be around somewhere. LOL

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would it not make more sense to run the daily weekly and monthly tasks when the computer is actually on(like mid-day for example), that way there's more of a chance of the maintenance tasks happening

M

MacHeadCase

I don't fully understand your question.

The built-in tasks run when the Mac is on (not in sleep mode) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Since I shut down my computer at night or when I'm not around, I use MainMenu to be able to run manually whenever I chose those maintenance tasks. And of course, these tasks too need the Mac to be on...

As for the built-in tasks, I once saw on MacOSXHints, I think it was, a Terminal trick where you could change the default time the tasks are usually run (which is between 3:00 and 5:30 AM, every day) but I didn't keep the article as a bookmark but I do remember it was quite a while ago.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I'm saying is that most users have their macs turned off at night, therefore it may not be a good idea to run the scripts then. but then again, you can do it manually using mainmenu like you said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.