virus protection for macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
Hi,

Recently purchased a macbook. Long time windows user. Do I need virus software and firewall protection ?. I read that firewall protection is built in and that the virus threat is minimal ?.

Any advice appreciated.

Reaction score
you actually don't need any antivirus protection for osx but I still recommend using clamxav just to scan your mail folder (otherwise you might send viruses to your close ones and friends-and that's something I hope nobody wants to do). and clamxav is free.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, a firewall is built in, so you won't need third-party software unless you're super-paranoid.

You don't need anti-virus software. To best tell you why, check out The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ. While what kuchiki says about spreading viruses is true, I personally hold the belief that it isn't my problem, and that it's the Windows user's responsibility of having an up-to-date anti-virus program.

OP
fraser38
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
cheers and thanks for the info :)

Reaction score
I understand that we do not need a anti virus for our macs, but my college requires anti virus on all computers. which program would anyone recommend. i am not fond of Norton. it screwed up 1 compaq and dell we had here at home. i did like mcafee but i do not know if it is compatible with my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in Unibody Macbook Pro Rev. F (2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM)
I've been using iAntiVirus on the Mac, having recently switched from Windows. I can't say I've had as much experience with viruses on OSX as I have with Windows, but its a useful tool for the occasional scanning of an email attachment.

And it's free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.