switcher with mixed wireless network, ? regarding printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
Not a "crazy computer" guy, but after years of having a PC because of work instead of the macs I grew up on I switched back.

I guess I'm a new switcher though because os/x bears about as much resemblance to system 7 as windows does. :)

So far I have been using my Macbook for 2 days, and I'm starting to get the hang of not having a "start" button and program list, and not having a "my computer".
Was finally able to set up a network instead of just wireless net access on the Mac despite it being from the family XP making all the networks setup .exes useless.

Is there someway I can import my bookmarks from my xp's safari 3 browser without having them clutter the **** out of the unit by having them hidden away enmasse in 'imported' bookmarks? I will do more research on this.

my only issue, and I am sure this is probably because I DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT XP EITHER:Oops: but I c'nna not seem to locate my printer from the mac. I've followed the instructions i've found to the letter adn it never shows up.
It is a lexmark z600 connected via USB to the emachines desktop. this same xp machine is the one conencted to my belkin wireless g router that runs the wireless and network.

I attempted the daemon? instructions I found in one of the posts on these forums, and that killed it from the xp machine too.

not a super critical issue as I can still take the MB over and plug the printer in via usb, but I would love to be able to print witout carrying the MB around the house and leaving it sitting in a vulnerable spot.
Anyone has anyideas, feel free to pm me so I don't clutter the boards with my ignorances of the computing world.
Is it just that my printer is too bottom end and too old?

thanks for the greatresource, and glad to be back IN A MAC...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Same Problem here too

I'm in a similar situation with no solution in sight. I have a MS Windows Based Domain with an HP Photosmart 7760 shared off of a File/Print server. The HP Driver only works for local printers or if the Printer had it's own IP which it dosen't. I hooked it up locally to get the install complete and thought that by doing so it would add the 7760 to the list of printer drivers in the printer setup utility. It didn't. Next thought I have is that it had to have installed a driver on the HDD somewhere. Is there a way to select the driver directly and does anyone know which file it could be?

Thanks

System:
PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics)
Proc:450MHz
RAM:1.25GB
OSX: 10.3.9

OP
attackeagle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
UPDATE... FOUND THAT IT IS UNLIKELY THAT A NON IP ADDRESSED PRINTER WILL BE SHARED WIRELESSLY via xp...

And also apparently lost whatever I accidentally got right that gave me a netwrk connection to my pc... I've been working on it all night now with no ideas as to what I did do right the 3 rd time that gave me that connection, instead of jsut internet access. Clicking on the NETWORK icon in the upper lh side of Finder does nothing, and if I recall correctly it would appear below that divider before when it was working???

set up the pc to see the macbook by using \\ipaddress\macbookname but having to go to the PC to access the MB and transfer folders or files between them is extremely lame.

set up is as follows, xp desktop & usb printer, ethernet from xp desktop to belkin -g router, ethernet to the surfboard cable modem.
Airport picks up and connects fine to my wireless network aka "bimmerwerks", but I can not see 'MShome' (workgroup name) nor 'Bimmer1' the real "network". MB doesn't see the xp unit nor the network at all from what i can tell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.