An update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Mac OS X 10.4.11 2.16 GHz, iPod nano 2nd gen. 8 GB
A few hours ago a new update came up on my Macbook.
It's called "MacBook EFI Firmwire update".
Here are the instructions it gives me-

This update is for MacBook computers with Intel processors only.

Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source.

Note: Print or write down these instructions before you begin the update.

To update the firmware on your Intel-based MacBook:

1. Quit all other open applications.

2. Click Shut Down in the MacBook EFI Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to shut down.

3. Press and hold the power button on your MacBook until the sleep indicator light flashes repeatedly or you hear a long tone, then release the power button.

A status bar indicates the progress of the update.

Important: Do not interrupt the update.

Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and opens the MacBook EFI Firmware Update.

4. Click OK, if the firmware is now up-to-date.

If these instructions appear on your screen again, the firmware update was not successful. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

Now, I have an intel MacBook as far as I know. Would this update even come up if I didn't?
So, it's not working, I follow all the directions, and when I go to turn it back on in Step 3, nothing. It gives me a quick flash of a bar loading (well, no not loading, it is an empty bar. according to the instructions I should be able to see it loading) under the Apple logo, and then it does it's normal thing, brings me to my desktop, and the directions as to how to get the update onto my computer pop up again. No button to press "okay" or anything.

What should I do? :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Just quit the software update. Force quit if you have to (but not recommended). Then open up the software update app again. If the macbook firmware update is not there then it worked fine. And if it's there just do it again.

M

MacHeadCase

Can you startup normally or are you unable to do so?

If you can startup normally... You might have to dig out that update from the Receipts folder to be able to attempt an install again. The path is:

Macintosh HD -> Library -> Receipts

and look for the update package by its name or maybe, if you can't find it, by the date. Once you've found it, put it in the trash but don't empty it right away. And I would suggest that before you download and install the update:

- unplug all unnecessary peripherals from your Mac

- restart once in Safe Mode (holding down the Shift key and restart again (Safe Mode clears out some stuff that is floating around in the system)

- quit all applications: don't use your Mac either, while the install is underway.

If the install is successful, then you can empty the trash.

If you can't startup normally, that's entirely different though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Would this update even come up if I didn't?

Nope. The update looks at the machine type to see what updates apply for that machine, those that don't are not displayed.

OP
Coline_MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is "Firmware" not "firmwire" I keep using the second >.< sorry

OP
Coline_MacGirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked !
Thanks for the comments, they have helped :)

It turns out...I was just following the directions wrong XD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.