Hinge Problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
my powerbook has a major hinge problem. the screen stays up when on a solid flat surface but other than that it'll either fall backwards/forward. i've googled this problem a few days back and apparently it cost's about $120+ to replace the hinges! it has gotten so bad that the front lid that covers the actual screen has cracked on the left side! :Shouting:

i guess i need to resort this back to being a desktop replacement secondary to how any sudden movement to this machine would mostlikely result to a broken screen.. *sigh*

what is wrong with the powerbook? i've had the machine since '04 but i have taken VERY good care of it.

anyone else have the same issue?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz, Macbook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
powerbook g4 15 inch 1.5 PowerPC G4 processor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
You can fix it yourself! Before buying a new hinge, go to ifixit.com and go to the PowerBook Aluminum guide. take off the top case and verify that the 4 screws that secure the hinge to the bottom case are tightly secured. You might have to take off the LCD case and clutch cover. If you don't see any cracks in the hinge, then buy a bottle of Locktite. Unscrew the hinge screws covered by the clutch cover, dip into Locktite and screw them back in. Now put it all back together. If the hinge is truly broken, purchase a new one online and put it in yourself.

Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.