Using my MBP makes me sweaty and uncomfortable =(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
I've noticed that the MBP does get warm, but nothing compared to my old Toshiba laptop. That thing gets hot. Maybe I'm just used to that, but the MBP doesn't seem like it gets that hot to me.

Ive used my MBP on my lap, wearing jeans, while playing CS on Windows XP using boot camp and it hurt. I rly wanted to play but it hurt like **** and after about 20 mins my leg was red, and its not like i cant stand much heat or anything.

The MBP can get hot, just make sure the air can get out easily, and its not meant to be used on ur lap (itll kill ur sperm as well)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Maybe I was bored and wanted to prevent future confusion, does it really matter that much to you that you had to reply to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 C2D 4GIG Ram Glossy
I was playing Company of Heroes via Boot Camp last night. On my lap, just had boxers on, so the base of my MBP was on bare skin. This morning it feels like i have sun burn on both legs. Maybe i should have moved when it felt like my legs were on fire......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
LOL ~ maybe!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 Mid 2010
Is the entire case made of aluminum? I wonder if magnesium would cool better. My Dell XPS M1210 (sorry to mention that in a Mac forum) stays very cool just browsing, it gets warm playing games (with dedicated nvidia graphics), but never unbearable. Maybe there are some metallurgists that could answer that question.

OP
D
Reaction score
Is the entire case made of aluminum? I wonder if magnesium would cool better. My Dell XPS M1210 (sorry to mention that in a Mac forum) stays very cool just browsing, it gets warm playing games (with dedicated nvidia graphics), but never unbearable. Maybe there are some metallurgists that could answer that question.

Aren't the XPS's a little bit thicker in form factor? I ask because I think they have more traditional ventilation as opposed to the MBP's method.

I think given the MBP form factor, Aluminum would serve better to absorb the heat of the thin body, as where magnesium would possibly warp easier or not be able to contain as much heat. I could be entirely wrong but I vaguely remember one of the two metals being significantly more malleable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Pure aluminum has about twice the thermal conductivity of pure magnesium (though alloys based on the metals may have higher or lower thermal conductivities than the base metals do).

The Dell running cooler has nothing to do with the fact that the case is made of magnesium, and everything to do with the fact that the cooling system in the Dell is superior to the one in the Apple.

OP
D
Reaction score
Haha, thanks Geeky1,

You know, it's funny how I took a year of college Chemistry but all I can remember is equation after equation...very few of the concepts actually stuck in my head, but all the math is clear as day.

I had an absent minded professor who was very fond of numbers and little else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 Mid 2010
Yep, it's a thick notebook. Apple is pushing the limit with the thin form factor, Dell, well, you know, form is usually secondary. Mine is clunky but sturdy and runs cool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.