Booting Windows from an external harddrive?

Reaction score
Hello out there....

I was wondering if it is possible to boot up windows on a mac from an external harddrive.

Instead of partitioning the harddrive, I want to install windows on my external and then just use bootcamp to run windows. Is that possible?

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do not believe it is possible at this time.
Windows needs a motherboard with an appropriate BIOS in order to boot. Macs have a systemboard with EFI.
Bootcamp at this time is the only software available that will translate the EFI into information that can be understood by windows. And Bootcamp requires the installation of windows be placed on your primary drive.
Did not go and check, but I don't believe even BartPE is capable of this translation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
What if we left the Windows OS on the primary HDD, and installed all the programs on an external? How much would be worth formatting the primary for Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
There's a guide floating around the net somewhere that tells you how to boot XP from a thumbdrive - can't remember where, but Google will dig it up.

It sounds fiddly, and if I recall, it's a somewhat cut down version of XP. that might just be space limitation though.

I'd imagine of it can be done from a thumbdrive, it can't be impossible to do it from an external HD.

Such things are always 'experimental' though. I'd never do it if I had to have a reliable way to boot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There's a guide floating around the net somewhere that tells you how to boot XP from a thumbdrive - can't remember where, but Google will dig it up.

It sounds fiddly, and if I recall, it's a somewhat cut down version of XP. that might just be space limitation though.

I'd imagine of it can be done from a thumbdrive, it can't be impossible to do it from an external HD.

Such things are always 'experimental' though. I'd never do it if I had to have a reliable way to boot.

One of those links is provided above by babarnette. It is still going to require a motherboard's BIOS which you do not have on a Mac.

What if we left the Windows OS on the primary HDD, and installed all the programs on an external? How much would be worth formatting the primary for Windows?

While I have not tried it, I see no reason why installing your programs to an external once booted into windows via Bootcamp would not work.

??? - Don't understand what you are asking in the 2nd question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
The link I provided will work on a mac. Vista or XP will work fine with the EFI on a Mac. In fact you could pull the hard drive out of your Mac and just have a usb drive plugged in with the windows install cd in the computer and install windows. Windows runs quite well on a mac either via boot camp, or as the only OS installed. It does not run well off usb drives on any computer, Mac or PC, though. I've done it and it is buggy with slow access times. You would be better off buying a bigger HDD from newegg and running bootcamp.

EDIT: For those of you who say that windows has to have a mother board with a BIOS this is not correct. There are EFI motherboards available for the PC also. This is getting more and more common now and in the next 2 years most new computers sold should have a EFI motherboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.