iChat not making sound

Reaction score
iChat isnt making any sound when I send or receive instant messages. The sound is on, I checked all my preferences. Its just not making any sound. Help?

OP
C
Reaction score
Sweet, worked. But what if it keeps on doing it. Sounds like a constant problem based on the links you gave me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Sweet, worked. But what if it keeps on doing it. Sounds like a constant problem based on the links you gave me.

It probably will. I suspect that coreaudiod has a memory leak, or a similar condition, that causes it to stop responding after a few days of running.

Hopefully Apple will fix it in an update.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It probably will. I suspect that coreaudiod has a memory leak, or a similar condition, that causes it to stop responding after a few days of running.

Hopefully Apple will fix it in an update.

Sometimes my iMac G5 goes 2-4 months and never a problem with it, and sometimes a month. It seems to be more likely to happen if I do some audio editing in a audio app for example or playing certain videos.

OP
C
Reaction score
I see. Well at least I know how to fix it now. I almost always minimize my chat box, and without noise, people think Im ignoring them:\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.