Charge iPhone while my iMac gently sleeps?

Reaction score
My first post for a trouble-free iMac newbie! Except for the intermittent locking up, it has been flawless.

I have a new aluminum iMac 20" and an iPhone.

I keep seeing/reading that it is possible to charge my iPhone while the iMac is asleep...is this true?

I have my iPhone directly connected to the USB ports on the back and regardless of which port I use, when I sleep my iMac, the iPhone stops charging...

Is there something I should check?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

OP
L
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Did I stump the panel?

40 views so far and no response.

I hope this is in the right place and that someone can answer the question.

Thanks!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
it charges it. atleast the ipod does, i would guess it would for a iphone since there is still power coming out of the usb when its asleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It probably would if you had a powered USB hub, but since the computer shuts down when it's asleep, no power, no charge.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Not sure if it is working right but I will keep trying.

Thanks.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
It probably would if you had a powered USB hub, but since the computer shuts down when it's asleep, no power, no charge.

I don't know how relevant this is, but the USB-powered fans on the cooling pad I use on my MBP continue to run after I put it to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Not sure if its the same with my MacBook, but it wont charge the iPod while sleeping, in fact is kills the battery instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I don't know how relevant this is, but the USB-powered fans on the cooling pad I use on my MBP continue to run after I put it to sleep.

Yes, I think there's power to the USB ports while it's asleep as plugging in a device will wake it. That doesn't guarantee the iPhone will charge, however, it might still need a powered hub.

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
I think I remember seeing somewhere that if you use a FireWire 800 cable then you can charge ipods while the computer is in sleep. Might be an idea to look into that? I'm on my iPod touch at the moment so can't really look too much :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4ghz / Lion; MBPro 2009; iPhone 4S; iPad 2
and from the keyboard usb?

I have a new aluminum iMac 20" and an iPhone.

I keep seeing/reading that it is possible to charge my iPhone while the iMac is asleep...is this true?

I have my iPhone directly connected to the USB ports on the back and regardless of which port I use, when I sleep my iMac, the iPhone stops charging...

Mark

I have same set-up - and wondering how you find charging the iPhone from the usb port on the keyboard, if you have the wired version. My new iPhone was charging from it, while iMac is awake, anyway, but just lately it seems not to be able to charge.
I have a powered usb hub hanging off the back, but all the ports are full with scanner, printer, elgato TV, and um,,, other stuff I can't recall without looking :Blushing: .

Is the keyboard USB port powered?

Reaction score
I connect my iPhone and then put my iMac to sleep. In the morning, the iPhone or iPod is always charged. It works perfectly.

Reaction score
I have same set-up - and wondering how you find charging the iPhone from the usb port on the keyboard, if you have the wired version. My new iPhone was charging from it, while iMac is awake, anyway, but just lately it seems not to be able to charge.
I have a powered usb hub hanging off the back, but all the ports are full with scanner, printer, elgato TV, and um,,, other stuff I can't recall without looking :Blushing: .

Is the keyboard USB port powered?

Yes it is powered. I've been using a usb cord attached to the keyboard to sync and charge my iPhone/iPod for many months now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.