"Free iPod" posts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I never noticed this sticky before. The free ipod spamming? It must have been before my time.

What caught my attention was the number of banned users that you can find in the first page or two of this discussion :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, one was banned for basically being a troll, the other for persistant bad language, one for growing too big for his own boots, demanding things and one is graphite who left more or less by mutual agreement.

It's an old thread mind you....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Yeah,i think that it has improved MF.

Reaction score
would any of you guys know how to fix a suoer haged ipod nano 4gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Free iPod? WANT. lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Similar to the "Free iPod" posts, there is another type of spam post to be mindful of, and they pop up here from time to time.
At first glance, they don't appear to be spam, but when you start to recognize the tell-tale signs you can spot them easily.

The posts I am speaking of are the lengthy "how-to" posts.
At first they seem like someone took a lot of time to write up a very thorough step-by-step guide on how to do something like convert a video file.
The post has lots of pictures and easy to follow directions.
It advises you that the process can be completed using nothing but freeware apps.
The OP usually comes back to say something like he will update it if necessary and thanks those who reply for the kind comments about what a great post it was.

Well, sad to say, the vast majority of these threads are spam... and here's why:

+The post is usually the very first (if not the only) post the OP will ever make on the forum
+The wonderful and helpful images that accompany the post are hot-linked images.
+And the biggest tell is this... while the guide touts that it can all be achieved by using freeware apps, there is always a line in the middle of the post that says something like, "If you find it difficult to use the freeware or if it doesn't quite work out right, then try the software found here (insert link)"

That link goes directly to a purchase page for some easy to use, one click software suite that only costs $29.95!
That link is the spam... cleverly disguised as a helpful how-to guide.

So, let's review. If you spot a beautifully executed "how-to" guide that has:

- lots of helpful screenshots and images (hot-linked)
- an OP with a very low post count (usually less than 5 posts and joined less than a month ago)
- and contains a link to a paid software suite/package/application

then report the post ASAP.

There is a rare chance that it isn't spam, but report it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.