PhotoShop Elements and iPhoto

Reaction score
I notice when I chose edit photo with elements from iPhoto do the work and save it, It does not appear altered in iPhoto I have to do it a long way by taking it out of the folder and import it back to iPhoto surely this is not right what is wrong

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I notice when I chose edit photo with elements from iPhoto do the work and save it, It does not appear altered in iPhoto I have to do it a long way by taking it out of the folder and import it back to iPhoto surely this is not right what is wrong

I tried the exact same thing with Photoshop as the editor. Got the same results. Found that Photoshop changed the file from a JPG to TIF so that now there were two files in that Roll's folder, one with jpg and one with tif. I think if you have it save with the exact same extension it will show up in iPhoto. Worked for me.

OP
R
Reaction score
But all my files are saved as JPG and they still dont show unless i do what i said in first post

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
But all my files are saved as JPG and they still dont show unless i do what i said in first post

Strange. I don't have Elements but will mess around later and see what I can find for you.

OP
R
Reaction score
Also if i edited a photo from iphoto in elements and alter the name it appears in iphoto folder but not showing in iphoto at all and again i have to do what i say in post 1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
First off I have no experience with Elements.

However if you are cmd+click or right clicking you should be able to fire up your external editor (If you have defined one in Preferences) My experience with Pixelmator and iPhoto 08 are as follows.

1. If I just edit a photo in PM and save it no change is seen on the thumbnail but when I click on the photo to make it full size my picture will show up edited.
This is no doubt because PM does not make a thumbnail to replace the unedited one.

2. If I fire up PM from within iPhoto 08 it edits both the thumbnail, and the original and allows me to Revert to the original if I don't like what I've done.

NB. It's important to realise that if you edit a photo and then import to iPhoto you can't go back to the Original

If you change the name of a file within the iPhoto folder iPhoto won't know what to do. Of course it will have to be re-Imported so that iPhoto can track it.

Don't go playing around with file names in the iPhoto folder iPhoto takes a dim view of such and it will end in tears

Look don't touch is worth remembering

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
True. iPhoto has separate files for thumbnails and the actual photo. So either you just let it be that way (different thumbnail different picture) or reimport the picture back again. However, you could also rebuild your thumbnails by pressing Command+Option just as you launch iPhoto.

Remember, backup is the key word here...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.