How to add an application to the Menu Bar???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have a small Automator script saved as an App... Does any one know how to get it to have a Menu Bar icon???

Currently double clicking the App locks the desktop, taking you to the actual Login screen (not just the Keychain lock screen, the actual Login Screen with the Aqua Blue background)... the best part, is it does this without closing any running apps, so when the password is entered the "cube" spins back to the desktop with everything running the exact same as it was prior to locking the desktop.

Right now I have a Quicksilver trigger set so when I press F7 the screen is locked... But I'd also like to have an icon in the menu bar that I could click to lock the desktop.

Any ideas???

EDIT: I figured it... Butler to the rescue!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
By choosing show icon in menu while in Keychain Access preferences, a lock will appear in the menu bar. From the drop down menu the option lock screen is listed.

kudos to you though,...

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
By choosing show icon in menu while in Keychain Access preferences, a lock will appear in the menu bar. From the drop down menu the option lock screen is listed.

kudos to you though,...

Yeah... That's what I had been using.. I even went through the trouble of adding some color to the Menu Lock icon in Keychain... I got tired (bored) with having to click the lock...THEN select lock screen, 2 steps (lazy???). I then set a keyboard Shortcut using Quicksilver to run a command within terminal when I pressed F7 that would turn on the screen saver and lock the screen (Security Setting in the Prefs). That worked, but I got tired of having to close the terminal window when I got back on the mac...(LAZY).

Now with the Automator Script, I can either press F7 to lock the desktop at once, or just 1 click on the icon in the menu bar... This "spins" the "cube" taking me to the actual Login Window, but NO apps are closed. Works fantastic!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.