Photo Software

Reaction score
Hi All

I have got myself into Photography and want to get some decent software.

At the moment I am using iPhoto 6 to organize my photos but dont think i like it too much as I believe iPhoto 8 is much better as you can preview pictures folder by folder rather than having all folders expanded like it is on iphoto 6

I also have Photoshop Elements 4 and i find it sluggish and slow on my Intel mac

I have also tried Adobe Light Room in which I think quite nice but not that powerful at editing than Photoshop Elements is.

What other suggestions is there and is it worth getting iPhoto 8?

Please help I have tried Gimp Dont like it at all I do prefer elements just wish it was quicker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks will check that out.

Is iPhoto 8 worth getting is do people using Adobe to to organize there photos ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
iPhoto 08 is what I use to organise my photos. It has a lot of features that iPhoto 06 doesn't have. However you can achieve an events type organisation using smart folders. What you won't get is better image editing in iPhoto 06 however you can set an external editor in Preferences.

OP
R
Reaction score
Are you saying Photo Editing in iPhoto 6 is better than 8 or just the same, then again no too bothered about that.

I seem to be liking Adobe Light Room quite handy it is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I'm saying that iPhoto08 is a lot better at editing your shots. You have better red eye controls and You have Highlight and shadow controls too. That was something not available in 06. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous post.
I have heard good things about lightroom but have had no hands on use of it. I only really need the basics to do what I want with my photos. You may need something a little more than what iPhoto offers you have to decide that one

Having said all that I purchased Pixelmator because I wanted some more possibilities .

OP
R
Reaction score
Cheers Mate

Think I might go and get it. As I also like Highlight and Shadows. So do you use Pixalmator as your other software then?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep that's right .
I have played with it since it was released last week .
I like it so far. I have iPhoto set up to use it as an external editor (Something which I learned from Skybolt a member here)However you don't need to do it that way. I love both iPhoto and Pixelmator. They work for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting one for Xmas!!
Hi,

Still waiting for Leopard to get my Mac. But I have a question, I love Photoshow to put animations and such in for the kids. Is PulpMotion the same thing basically?

Thanks
Penny

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.