Macbook and wireless connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I am getting my new Macbook in a little over a week. I go to a performing arts charter school where we have wireless internet throughout the whole building, for accessing our online classes. My question is, how does the Macbook connect to the wireless network? Does it automatically connect, or is there a password required?

Reaction score
Wouldn't that depend on if the wireless network needed a password to be accessed - say like a WPA or WEP key?

Jj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It'll pick up the wireless network automatically, and if you join it by clicking the Airport icon on the menu bar and choosing the network from the menu, you'll be asked for any security credentials then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Some networks may be configured to ask for a password. If so then you just click on the airport icon in the menu bar and then click on the name of the network you want to join. You will then be asked for your password which you just put in

However some networks are not password protected, then you can do the same as above but you won't be asked for a password

OP
Ninapants
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Thanks everyone. My school's wireless connection does not require a password, so I should be good on that.

Can't wait to get my new Macbook :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.