External Hard Drive Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Hey Guys I have a question about an external hard drive.

So I decided i need an external hard drive for Leopard and Time Machine.
So i went on to 'TradMe' (Basically eBay in New Zealand) and looked for a 120gb external hard drive.

Let's say i wanted to buy this one.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/...ge/External-hard-drives/auction-121074274.htm

I noticed that all of them said USB.
And as most of you know, MacBook Pros only have 2 USBs and i didnt want to use one of them for an external Hard drive which i will probably have plugged in 24/7.

And I don't have anything that uses the firewire ports. So i want to use them instead of the usb ports.

So my question is: Is there a way to use firewire instead of the usb? Is there like a USB to firewire cable?

thnx. pls answer :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You will have to get one with a firewire port. And external drives in the 2.5" form factor sporting a firewire are very hard to find cause they don't normally need speed.

Lacie has one that should fit your bill though...
http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/range.htm?id=10036

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I have an older Lacie drive that is firewire. You can also invest in a USB expansion thingy...you know the ones that allow you to add additional connections.

OP
ChaePod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
these look like what i need.. but they are a little over my budget..

oh well i guess ill have to work more before i can get it.....

is there like an adapter for the ipod which allows it to use firewire?

The reason i really dont want to use the usb is... here is a scenario

I have the usb external hard drive plugged in for time machine, and my little reciever for my wireless mouse

Suddenly i want to get my iPod charged for a long car ride....

But That's 2 usbs used up already. But then, I want to move photos from my camera, which needs a usb port, and at the same time i also need to plug in my printer to print an important document?

you know what i mean? I could do them one at a time, but it would take too long...

any suggestions?

BTW do you think that link was an ok hard drive for time machine if i decided to get it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.