Dead Pixels?

Reaction score
I just drove to the apple store and got a 16GB iPod Touch and the Apple Care with it.

There is a dead pixel pretty much right in the middle of the screen.
Is this covered in the warranty? and what should I do about it?

The Apple store is pretty far from me so I hope that they will let me get a new one or something. I hope to go Sunday.
I really hope something can be done about this. $400 for a new ipod and it has a dead pixel right in the middle that is really noticeable. I am not mad at apple because dead pixels are quite common.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Yes take it back and tell them. They should give you an replacement.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
do the touches power on out of the box? I would like to check it in the store if they give me a new one. I would hate to have to drive over an hour home to get dissapointed again. The location of pixel is what kills me. pretty much right in the middle and makes watching video not so great.

I already registered my apple care to this ipod, do they do something about that if I get a new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I say call the Apple store just to avoid hearing something silly like u might've dropped it or something. But yeah its covered under warranty and they should give ya a new one on the spot.

I just got an iTouch as well (8GB) and man that thing Rocks. As a matter of fact I am posting from it rite now ;P

Enjoy ur new touch and good luck at the apple store.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Thanks it is pretty cool.
I think I will open the new one at the mall to make sure it doesn't have any.

Reaction score
I am soon to get my 4th touch! 1st one had the negative screen issue, the 2nd dead/stuck pixels (with one dead centre too) and the 3rd has loads of dead/stuck pixels, all quite small but there nonetheless and I am not happy.

On the plus side over here in the UK the Apple store has been top class so I am happy to wait until I get a good one. Overall though Apple are lucky that there is no credible alternative as I would have given up by now if there was.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Well I called and talked to a manager at the apple store. They are going to let me return it and then check the one they give me while I am in the store for dead/stuck pixels. With all these problems with the screen, I wonder what the limit is on returns in one day while I am still in the store. If they say something like, "you are just going to have to accept it" then I am asking for my $400 back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Same thing happened with my Sony PSP. I took it back 3 times and after the 3rd time the guy told me that Sony changed the policy and it had to have like 4 stuck pixels all in the same area to warrant a return. Luckily the last one I got only had 1. I'll have to check my new touch tonight...

T

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a follow-up to this:
I took it back to the apple store today (they finally got some in stock), and I exchanged it for a new one. They did not even take a look at the screen in question. I opened the new one in the store and it was perfect.
The new iPod Touch is a week 40.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
how do you know what week is it, is it engraved on the back ie with the serial number, or is it somewhere on the box?
Also which week should i stay away from if iam not wrong I think its less than 37 weeks that have the dark scene issues?!

thanks

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
it is usually somewhere in the Serial number. "_ _ W" although my week 38 did not have a w after the week.

From what I know, Most week 38's have a good screen, and after week 38 it is all good. Although I hear dead pixels are quite common.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Same thing happened with my Sony PSP. I took it back 3 times and after the 3rd time the guy told me that Sony changed the policy and it had to have like 4 stuck pixels all in the same area to warrant a return. Luckily the last one I got only had 1. I'll have to check my new touch tonight...

T

I think Dell did the same with their early LCD monitors - it was something like 12 dead pixels or more, but less if they were in the middle of the screen.

I'd have gone nuts. No way I could bear a dead or stuck pixel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
So if i went to the apple store they would change my iPod touch for me, coz i have like 7 stuck pixels all centre screen. i ask as my iPod Touch is Engraved on the back, so i don't know the policy on it. "/ Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I just received an iPod Touch from my wife for my birthday, and being the anal tech guy I am, I immediately saw that it has a stuck/dead pixel or two. I'm pondering taking it back to get it replaced at the store she got it from, but my question is this: How many people have stuck/dead pixels and find that the just don't care or it doesn't make a difference?

I can see that they'll probably not bug me at all, except for the fact that I know they are there. But I don't want to wait a month and then not be able to return it if it start bugging me. Thus my question for those who have had the same issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.