Need help updating my graphics card!!!!!

Reaction score
alright i have last years 24" i-mac and invested in final cut studio and i found out i need a agp card is it possible to update my graphics card or is there a way around this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The first thing is that would be going backwards as AGP is now OLD and PCI Express which the iMac uses is much better. Second thing is the iMac is an integrated machine like a laptop and there are no AGP slots leave alone PCI Express slots. I think there is a work around which I will try to find for FCS for you. Will get back to you if I can find it. Sorry I can't offer more positive news.

What version of Final Cut Studio is this? Any new release should work fine on the new imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
You are using an older version of Final Cut Pro. 5.1.4 should work with Intel processors just fine. First thing first: find the app and right click and select GET INFO. Is the "Open using Rosetta" box checked? If so, uncheck it. Final Cut Pro should now launch. If the box isn't there, do this:

- Control-Click (or right click) on the Final Cut Pro application (not an alias/shortcut) and select "Show package contents". Open the contents folder and open info.plist with TextEdit. Search for AGP replace it with PCI. Save and close the file. Final Cut Pro will now work without needing an AGP graphics card. The newest Final Cut Pro will work regardless.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I knew that but was not sure if it was against the forum rules. Was going to ask and got busy with work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
alright i have last years 24" i-mac and invested in final cut studio and i found out i need a agp card is it possible to update my graphics card or is there a way around this?

The graphics 'card' is a chip soldered onto the logic board and cannot be changed.

But that doesn't matter, because Final Cut Studio will happily run on last year's 24" iMac anyway!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.