Problems installing Tiger PLEASE READ!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
hi all,

i just bought a new hard drive, and cloned it with super duper and booted from it afterwards. everything seemed fine... so i went ahead and put in my macbook. it started acting funny immediately so i wanna do a clean install and re-install all of my apps. by acting funny, i mean nothing opens with it's required program see the thumbnail.

when i put in the restore disk 1, and boot from it, i get to the destination part of the process, and it sees my HD but there is a red exclamation point on it and the message below it says that it needs 15 GB of free disk space and that os x can't boot from this drive. the icon says there are 170 GB free.

Why won't it start the install?? do i need to erase it first? I'm writing this while booted from said HDD.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I had to erase and reinstall my MacBook drive, as SuperDuper didn't do a complete image of the disk - in my case BootCamp wouldn't install because the drive wasn't a proper clone. I didn't get the problems you're having though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Good God. What have you done to OSX???

:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good God. What have you done to OSX???

:)

Ha, it's crazy i know! I dunno what happened but i think that SuperDuper is to blame... it's no big deal, i did have to reformat the ENTIRE drive, not just erase the volume. What is described here is not all of it, if you are interested in seeing something even more strange and out-there, the have a look at this thread that I posted earlier. :)

M

MacHeadCase

Before saying it's SuperDuper!'s fault, I would contact the developer, Dave Nanian and see what he has to say. Describe the problem in the most details, tell him the setup you have and that you're also using a haxie. Members reading this will tend to believe you when say SuperDuper! messed up your backup.

Besides if it actually is a problem with the software, David would be more than happy to update his app for the good of the Mac community.

Shareware developers are usually very close to the Mac community and most actually reply to emails. And I like giving them a chance to make their apps better or telling me what I did wrong if it isn't their app that is at fault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Ha, it's crazy i know! I dunno what happened but i think that SuperDuper is to blame... it's no big deal, i did have to reformat the ENTIRE drive, not just erase the volume. What is described here is not all of it, if you are interested in seeing something even more strange and out-there, the have a look at this thread that I posted earlier. :)

I think he's referring to your theme... looks like a cross between Vista and Front Row...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before saying it's SuperDuper!'s fault, I would contact the developer, Dave Nanian and see what he has to say. Describe the problem in the most details, tell him the setup you have and that you're also using a haxie. Members reading this will tend to believe you when say SuperDuper! messed up your backup.

Besides if it actually is a problem with the software, David would be more than happy to update his app for the good of the Mac community.

Shareware developers are usually very close to the Mac community and most actually reply to emails. And I like giving them a chance to make their apps better or telling me what I did wrong if it isn't their app that is at fault.

I see where you are coming from... I didn't mean to make it sound like I disliked the software. I probably did something to screw it up, which is why it was no big deal. sorry if that got under your skin a bit.

I think he's referring to your theme... looks like a cross between Vista and Front Row...

It's nice isn't it? It's like... the best of both os's :) lol

M

MacHeadCase

No problem, really. It was more to let people know that whenever there is a problem with Mac shareware, developers are close to the community, are more than happy to get feedback from users and, for those of you that are from the Windoze culture, this might be hard to know or understand.

Since most Mac developers do this out of passion for the platform instead of doing apps because they know they just might strike it rich, maybe this video from two years ago might help you understand.

Evening at Adler, which was an event organized by Michael drunkenbatman Bell, a well-known blogger in the Mac circle (he's been silent for quite a while now and I miss his posts). It reflected the passion some developers have for the Mac, how they see their job and they answer questions from the audience, Chicago Mac users.

I posted a short article in my blog back then on the event.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, really. It was more to let people know that whenever there is a problem with Mac shareware, developers are close to the community, are more than happy to get feedback from users and, for those of you that are from the Windoze culture, this might be hard to know or understand.

Since most Mac developers do this out of passion for the platform instead of doing apps because they know they just might strike it rich, maybe this video from two years ago might help you understand.

Evening at Adler, which was an event organized by Michael drunkenbatman Bell, a well-known blogger in the Mac circle (he's been silent for quite a while now and I miss his posts). It reflected the passion some developers have for the Mac, how they see their job and they answer questions from the audience, Chicago Mac users.

I posted a short article in my blog back then on the event.

Wow, I think that is the most useful post that I have ever encountered, and I thank you!

M

MacHeadCase

Glad you find it useful! :)

The video has as guests some of the top notch shareware developers like Wil Shipley (Delicious Library), Brent Simmons (NetNewsWire), Paul Kafasis from Rogue Amoeba Software and many others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.