I want a powerbook

A

arkman_1411

Hello everyone, I have been thoroughly researching Apple computers and I realized that what I wanted was either an ibook or a powerbook. Now I know the powerbook offers more than the ibook as far as power goes. But I really want one, however my budget is 1400, I can stretch 1500 possibly. My question to you all is: are Apple refurbished products reliable and as stable as a new Apple product. What happens to them that makes the price drop so much? This would be my first Mac and I want to make sure I like it. Well thanks in advance to anyone who answers my question.

OP
K

kathleen

find someone in high school or college and have them use their student discount and you can get a 12" Powerbook for $1400, $1500 with some extra RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
kathleen said:
find someone in high school or college and have them use their student discount and you can get a 12" Powerbook for $1400, $1500 with some extra RAM

No, please don't do that.

Apple gives student discounts because it knows students generally don't have enough money to afford Macs. (And because it knows that people who buy a Mac for college will usually buy more when they graduate....)

If people start abusing student discounts, then Apple will cut off the student discounts. Which will really suck for all the legitimate students out there.

-----

My understanding is that refubs are "open box" Macs that get returned to Apple for some reason. Many are probably warranty returns. (Even an unused product whose packaging was opened can't be sold as "new" for legal reasons.) Apple then replaces any defective components and sells them as refurbished.

I've never bought a refurb myself, and have no personal experiences.

The Apple Sore refurbished units do have the standard 1-year warranty, which can be extended (AppleCare) for two more years at any time during the original one-year warranty. (If you buy it using certain credit cards, you also get a year of extended warranty.)

OP
A

arkman_1411

Educational discount

Hey when you said dont abuse the educational discount would I be abusing it if I bought a powerbook using the dicount since I am still in highschool. Since I'm still in highschool do I qualify? I am buying this with my own money. I'm going into the 11th grade. I checked it out last time and it seems as though you have to work in a school to get a discount, but when I first click on the link it says if your in k-12 education. Because I would feel even more compelled to get one with the educational discount.

OP
I

IndianPowerbook

no i believe high school students can get this discount....it says shop for urself...find HS or college

ur good to go arkman

OP
M

MoltenLava

I agree that we shouldn't abuse various discount programs. Just use your common sense to determine whether you should or shouldn't do what you are about to do.

IMHO asking someone who's eligible for educational discount to buy a computer for yourself is NOT really an abuse. OTOH, it's an abuse if you buy a computer with educational discount and then sell it on eBay to make profit.

People have different tolerance level viewing refurbished or second hand products. It's basically a personal decision. Some people never buy a used car. Some people look for most bang for buck. Personally I don't really mind buying a refurb, especially if the discount is 25% or more. All the refurb computer components that I bought looked brand new, and I am pretty picky about the condition. Again, it depends on your tolerance level. If you don't feel comfortable buying something that might have been used by someone else, you shouldn't buy one.

However, the education discount does not apply to the special clearance items. If you can get education discount, it's better deal to buy a brand new computer with discount than a clearance item.

OP
A

arkman_1411

Well I'm really looking towards the 12 inch powerbook, but my question is: is 12 inches too small? Does it cause eye strain to look at such a small screen? or would I be better off with a 14 inch ibook?

OP
T

tornadothrasher

On Apple's Education Discount site, it only says Find College/University.

Not College/Highschool

OP
D

daxdagr8t

i have a 12inpb, the screen size takes time to get used to but after a while ull get used to it.

OP
C

Cloudane

I had a 12" (before it was lifted!) and can confirm that the 12" screen is a *delight* to look at. I was questionable about it myself, but it worked out great. If you're okay with 1024x768 resolution, I can as good as guarantee that you will worship it :) I prefer it over my 17" CRT most of the time.

OP
T

tornadothrasher

kathleen said:
sorry guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my suggestion. I agree with whoever said that it's not abuse, but different strokes...

anyway, yes, you can get the discount if you're in high school. try this link
http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-5009/WebObjects/EducationIndividual?type=k12

Well this is what it says for my H.S.

# Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
# School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
# PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
# Qualified homeschools
# Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

It didn't say students so I didn't know if I could get one for HS or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
tornadothrasher said:
Well this is what it says for my H.S.

Have any family that are government employees? As a gov. employee I got the federal discount, same as educational I think, and in the small print it says a federal employee can use their discount on a limited number of purchases for up to x amount of family/friends. I may have to go check again to see if it's still the case.

But I have the 12" model, love it. I have a 15" Dell Inspiron and I really don't miss the difference. Still have the Dell, but as far as screen goes, I like the 12" model. Longer battery life, the display is bright and crisp. Makes for a lighter notebook too, having the smaller size and all.

Good luck!

OP
D

daughter_anna

well arkman, i'm sorry to burst your bubble but no, you are not elegible for the student discount since you're still in highschool. the discounts are exclusive to college/university students and as i've read, teachers as well.

as far as the 12inch powerbook vs. the 14inch ibook, i'd definately go for the ibook. especially if you are planning to use the machine as a desktop replacement. sure, the 12inch powerbook is amazing but it is just too small for my blood. but yeah, that's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
arkman_1411 said:
Hello everyone, I have been thoroughly researching Apple computers and I realized that what I wanted was either an ibook or a powerbook. Now I know the powerbook offers more than the ibook as far as power goes. But I really want one, however my budget is 1400, I can stretch 1500 possibly. My question to you all is: are Apple refurbished products reliable and as stable as a new Apple product. What happens to them that makes the price drop so much? This would be my first Mac and I want to make sure I like it. Well thanks in advance to anyone who answers my question.

personally, if i were you, i'd wait until the new Powerbook G5 comes out. b/c at that point you can use the educational/government discount, at your discretion, and get the new Powerbook for cheaper OR you can buy what will then be an outdated G4 Powerbook for even cheaper. that's what i would do.

OP
M

mac_noobie

Maybe if you had a friend or neighbor who was a college professor, you might ask him if he'd give you one of his purchases from the Apple Edu store and let you pay him... I recall if you get the edu discount it was not like you could go buying as many powerbooks as you wanted in a year you were limited. So I don't really see it as being unfair if he gives you one of his limited purchases from the Apple store for your edu, just seems to me like the most legal and fair way to save some money (since you will be using it for college in a few years right? ).

Good Luck!

OP
Z

zakm52

I just bought my 15" powerbook 1 ghz from apple as a refurbished item. The computer arrived in PERFECT condition with all the manuals and cables sealed in plastic; it doesn't look used at all. So far (about a month and a half) its a been a wonderful machine - no problems. Hope it helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.