Should a life-long PC/Windows user give Macbook a chance?

Reaction score
I'm in the need of a nice, sleek, mobile laptop for purely school work, internet, and basic multimedia, that I plan on carrying EVERYWHERE I go around campus. I have never owned any apple products other than the iPod and I've been using Windows my entire life but I wouldn't mind learning a new OS. Personally, I'm drawn towards the design of the Macbook and the price with the educational discount puts it right at $1000 for the basic model, which more than enough for my purposes. So once Leopard is released, should I give Macbook a try? The only thing about it that is an issue is that there are lighter and smaller notebooks out there and the release of the Eee PC is coming soon. Also, is the Macbook sturdy, durable, and scratch resistant? Should I go ahead and take the plunge with a new Macbook? For those who are using the Macbook for the purposes I've stated, are you happy with your decision or do you suggest I look elsewhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
My MacBook has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. Truly fantastic. I bought the entry level 2.0ghz MacBook, then recently upgraded the RAM to 2gb and the HD to 250gb.. now it's PERFECT in every way to me.
It will sooo easily handle what you are wanting to do. OS X is simply amazing. (Wow... I'm starting to sound like a real fanboy ;).. Where's that Kool-Aid:D)

Sturdy=Yes
Durable=Yes (for regular everday type use... not like construction/army type use :D)
Scratch resistant= No... You may want to get a Skin to protect against scratches.

Welcome to the forum!! I'm sure you'll find it to be quite helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 15.4", 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, 80GB HD. Leopard on order.
I switched, never turning back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD
From an IT guy - take the plunge. I use Windows/PC at work (Because we use Server 2003/Active Directory and all that crap) and at home we are starting to use Macs. I have a work Mac that I keep at home and have started to use on a regular basis. It is sweet and love it, and now my wife is going to get one (hers is arriving tomorrow as her present for our 10 year anniversary) She is a teacher by trade and is going to grad school. So she wanted a laptop with some simple flexibility so she can do web browsing, write papers and etc. And wanted one of those 599.00 laptops (with Windows Vista - OVER MY DEAD BODY). So I am surprising her and bought her a Macbook with the educational discount - the basic model and you're right it was under 1k which was perfect. 1 gig of ram and 80 gig HDD (I will upgrade them later but she isnt too heavy on the work so I dont think she will need anything bigger). And I'm counting on it that she will be very happy with it. (I hope!) :)

My house is fixing to be converted into a MacHouse as well! :) Those Windows PC I have sitting in my game room is going to find their way out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook C2D 1GB RAM
I'm about a week into my first Macbook and I love it. Like you, I am not doing anything fancy. I use it mainly for web browsing, chat, music and photos.

I'm still learning OS X but I'm finding the most difficult part is just learning the new terminology. Dock vs. Taskbar, Finder vs. Explorer, etc. If you go into the experience with an open mind, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't like it. I think when you switch from Windows to Macs, you have to genuinely want to do it, not just switch to see what the fuss is about.

I think you get a really good bang for your buck with the entry level Macbook. It is the perfect size for portability. With the 13.3" MB still giving you a full size keyboard, you will be cramped if you go for the smaller notebook you mentioned.

Reaction score
There is no reason not to expand your horizons a little bit. Learning a new OS is something everyone should do. There is life outside of Windows. This is one of the few cases in which the statement "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is actually true! The grass is greener and it's soooooo delicious!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
yes. im also a switcher from using windows for years. i love the mac... and i can run windows on it if i need to. best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I don't know where you go to school, but I think I should tell that what I find is people planning on taking it everywhere, and then leaving it sit at their desk 90% of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
I've been a Mac user since 2001 and I'm on my 6th Mac laptop (the mid-range MacBook) and I've never looked back. I really do take mine everywhere I go - school, vacations, short trips, business trips, family outings, social gettogethers. I'm a total geek. Anyway, I find the Mac line of consumer notebooks to be perfect. No, they're not scratch resistant, but they're durable in every other sense. I take very good care of my computers, but I've seen Macs owned by those who don't - and they seem to be capable of taking quite a bit.

Anyway, my vote is MacBook. I couldn't go back to full-time desktop computing if I tried. ^_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I'm in the need of a nice, sleek, mobile laptop for purely school work, internet, and basic multimedia, that I plan on carrying EVERYWHERE I go around campus. I have never owned any apple products other than the iPod and I've been using Windows my entire life but I wouldn't mind learning a new OS. Personally, I'm drawn towards the design of the Macbook and the price with the educational discount puts it right at $1000 for the basic model, which more than enough for my purposes. So once Leopard is released, should I give Macbook a try? The only thing about it that is an issue is that there are lighter and smaller notebooks out there and the release of the Eee PC is coming soon. Also, is the Macbook sturdy, durable, and scratch resistant? Should I go ahead and take the plunge with a new Macbook? For those who are using the Macbook for the purposes I've stated, are you happy with your decision or do you suggest I look elsewhere?

I had never used the OS before and honestly it was a breath of fresh air!! Excellent OS and alot of my PC knowledge transfered over easily to the Mac. I would and do recommend it to many many people especially "advanced" PC users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I switched a month ago. It depends really, on what you want to do with it. I was sick of editing video on a PC, it crashing all the time and losing work. If you want it for gaming forget it.

So far, my mac has been rock solid - no crashes and it works. No problems, hang ups or anything. The OS is a dream to use. They are expensive compared to PCs (in the UK), but man - worth the money.

I will NEVER buy a PC again. The mac is a true workhorse!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.