Why cant I hook up a DVI monitor to my powerbook? (It doesnt fit!)

Reaction score
I have this display from a friends G5 that he gave me. Its great but I have an ibook which doesnt support dual monitors, so I just bought a powerbook which uses the same DVI input.

But I was shocked to find that it actually doesnt fit! Is there an adaptor I should be using, or is this designed to only fit into the G5 desktop for some technical reason?

The monitor is the Studio Display 17" which came with the G5 desktop, and has a male DVI output. Meanwhile the powerbook also has a female DVI input, but the metal ring around the pins on the monitor DVI output is too big for the smaller, more squareish ring around the pin inputs on the powerbook!

Hmmm
Any suggestions are appreciated.

PS yes I know this is my first thread, a damm newbie question. I bet you people hate me. haha. Well Ill do my best to contribute to the community in later posts.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Studio Display was not DVI but Apples ADC connector that even provided power for the display. It looks very much like DVI but will not fit nor work in a DVD jack. Are you sure your friend had a G5 Tower as they came with DVI and not ADC. Some of the G4 towers and the Cube had ADC. Is there any way you can show me a picture of the display? I have a 22" Apple Display and it also has a ADC connector. I had top purchase an ADC to DVI Adapter from Apple and they are not cheap!

Check this URL. ADC.

http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_studio_display_17_fp.html

OP
A
Reaction score
dtravis, thanks for the speedy reply. I wnet ahead and took a pic. Im pretty sure it is in fact DVI, as I said it has a rounder ring than the one on the powerbook. It was definitely from a G5 desktop.
I dont know what adaptor to get, a DVI to DVI adaptor? huh?
SNC10101.jpg

in case the above link doesnt work:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r45/artfulideas/SNC10101.jpg

thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmm I guess its case closed. I just looked on ebay and youre right, the DVI to ADC converters arent cheap at al! Ouch!
Maybe I dont need this display after all? haha
thanks for your help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here is my ADC. Yeah I paid $79 for mine at CompUSA when they went under here.

adc.jpg

Reaction score
if your handy with wiring, ADC is basically VGA with USB and Power for USB. (for certain mac displays)but all the conductors there are present to send a DVI-A signal. Just thought I"d throw my two cents...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.