Leap of faith!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
In my opinion, Microsoft Word is the best text editor. I have not used Appleworks, and I wont use it unless someone gives me a copy, or Apple actually updates it...

OP
N

Nightblade

Absolute Zero said:
In my opinion, Microsoft Word is the best text editor. I have not used Appleworks, and I wont use it unless someone gives me a copy, or Apple actually updates it...

Here here! Unfortunately, it was obviously optimized for the operating system also made by Word' creator (good ol' Microsoft), so it doesn't really run too quickly on Macs. Appleworks seems to be faster. But overall, Word is the best word processor I have ever used or seen, and it's even better on a Windows operating system, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I use MS Office also, and I have read many claims that Office for Mac is better than office for PC in quite a lot of different ways.. so not sure about the above post stating the opposite...

OP
G

gloriroze

witeshark said:
For word processing, I am quite happy with Appleworks. I see you have seen a download for maintaining your Mac. I happen to prefer using the terminal, but we can discuss that later :)

I'm very interested in hearing more about how to maintain my Mac. I think it is going to arrive in just a couple of days! :)

OP
C

Cloudane

Apparently you have to "fix permissions" once in a while. I have no idea why they get broken in the first place or what consequences it has, mind, so open to explanations there :) But apparently it's a very Good Thing.

It's also useful to run the 'cron jobs' which are scripts in the underlying BSD system that archive/delete old log files, do other optimisations etc at set times such as 3am. If you have a desktop that is on 24/7 then great, but if you have a laptop or a desktop that doesn't stay on then you need to run these once in a while or they'll get missed out.

A program such as Mac Janitor or OnyX will do both of the above for you rather than having to do them manually.

OP
G

gloriroze

Do those of you with laptops use a peripheral mouse? I'm trying to decide...since I have the Bluetooth technology and could go wireless....what do you all think??

And how do you create a signature file for this forum? I can't seem to get mine to come out right...

Thanks a million!
Gloria

OP
C

Cloudane

I think there's no point in having a wireless mouse with a laptop since it's probably the only wire you have other than power (so it won't get tangled etc), you have to be in close proximity of the laptop to work on it anyway, and you *cannot* beat wires for reliability or battery life (no battery needed). A £12 Microsoft (eek!) wheel mouse was ideal for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I think wireless mice are perfect for laptops, since you don't have to coil up the cable all the time. A wireless mouse on a desktop just sits on the desk all the time, anyway. If you move around frequently, having to wrap up and pack the mouse so often may outweigh its usefulness.

To set your signature, click the Profile link at the top, then click "Edit Signature" on the top right. Be sure to save it.

OP
P

pedrothekevin

If you just need something small to transfer the files, you could just pick up a small Jumpdrive at walmart for like $25. you can plug it into USB port and drag and drop from there. then plug it into your mac and drop the files in. easy as pie.

OP
G

gloriroze

pedrothekevin said:
If you just need something small to transfer the files, you could just pick up a small Jumpdrive at walmart for like $25. you can plug it into USB port and drag and drop from there. then plug it into your mac and drop the files in. easy as pie.

Perfect solution!! Precisely what I'll do! :)

OP
G

gloriroze

Waiting for the computer to arrive is the hardest part. I bought David Pogue's Missing Manual of OS X to keep me amused until it lands on my doorstep! That book is awesome...even I can figure out what I'm going to need to do! I can't wait for my computer to arrive!!

Cheers!
Gloria

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Before I believe someone mentioned maintaining you mac...Now, I'm sure whiteshark will be here soon to tell us the "hard way", but I'm here to tell you the "my way"..

Macaroni, a $9 app, automatically takes care of ALL of the maintaining! Once, you install it, you NEVER have to worry about it again....And in my opinion, it's worth 9 dollars to never have to maintain your mac again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or you can get Onyx and forget the $9 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Murlyn said:
Or you can get Onyx and forget the $9 :)

ahh.. but does Onyx completely remove your responsibility to maintain your mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope sure doesnt.. Im the type of person that likes to have that responsibility :) and be able to push the little button when I want it to do it's work :)

OP
G

gloriroze

ApplejustWorks said:
Before I believe someone mentioned maintaining you mac...Now, I'm sure whiteshark will be here soon to tell us the "hard way", but I'm here to tell you the "my way"..

Macaroni, a $9 app, automatically takes care of ALL of the maintaining! Once, you install it, you NEVER have to worry about it again....And in my opinion, it's worth 9 dollars to never have to maintain your mac again!

Where did you find Macaroni? Is there a link to it?

Thanks!

OP
G

gloriroze

Yesterday I did a little tracking on my much-anticipated PowerBook. If I read it correctly, it looks like it was coming from Taiwan. Is that where they're manufactured? Should arrive on Friday morning before 10:30.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.