• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to release PowerMac G5 at WWDC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: AppleInsider.com

Traditionally, Apple's World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) is scheduled during the month of May. However, in March of this year, the company announced that it had rescheduled its 2003 Worldwide Developers Conference for late June, in order to provide developers with a more complete preview release of "Panther." What the press release did not say is that this first developer release of Panther would be demonstrated by Apple CEO, Steve Jobs, on the company's new line of Power Mac G5 desktop computers.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The new Power Mac G5s will sport a completely new motherboard design utilizing DDR 400 RAM as well as AGP 8x graphics, FireWire 800 (FireWire 2), and USB 2.0, sources said. "In the box" connectivity among the news systems is based on Hypertransport -- a universal chip-to-chip interconnect developed by AMD and partners -- which provides 64-bit addressing and will replace Apple's multilevel_bus architecture found in current systems. This royalty-free technology sports a low manufacturing cost and is capable of transferring data at up to 12.8 Gigabytes per second.

The new Power Macs will be powered by IBM's 64 bit PPC 970 processor, otherwise known to Apple Marketing as the the "G5." Initial offerings of the Power Mac G5 are said to boast 1.4 to 1.8GHz, single core PPC 970 processors, with the possibility of a dual 1.8GHz chips shortly thereafter

I find this very interesting. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
I hope they make an iBook G5 by 2005 so I can buy one for college.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
ha, i hope they make an ibook with a g4 by the summer because i want one for next semester.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, from everything I'm reading, I don't think the iBook will ever be G4...I think they're moving away from that chip all together. Rather, it seems they're focusing on the "G5" and improving the G3. A faster G3 is due out soon and there are always those rumors of a G3 with Altivec soon also which IMHO will make it at least as good as the G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Why would they upgrade the G3 and not the G4? Why bother with either if they are changing chip manufacturers? Other than the fact that they have G3 andG4 stock, they should probably abandon the whole line all together?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm... i dont understand that either..
why not just improve the g4?
Sales on the g3 macs will drop even if improved.. because higher number to people means better, and when its a g3 to g5 quite a huge gap..
They'll have to do something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
intersting poll choices

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the problem is the manufacturers. The manufacturer appears to be moving on. IBM did not create a G4 and Motorala appears to have a problem with the supply demand. Plus there is the competition between the manufacturers.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emrys said:
Why would they upgrade the G3 and not the G4? Why bother with either if they are changing chip manufacturers? Other than the fact that they have G3 andG4 stock, they should probably abandon the whole line all together?

Well probably if they're going to solely IBM, I know IBM makes a G3, but I don't think they make a G4 so that might be why.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb wrote:
Well probably if they're going to solely IBM, I know IBM makes a G3, but I don't think they make a G4 so that might be why.

That is the way I see it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought motorola made all the g3 and g4..? i guess i be wrong!

T

Thommy

rman said:
The new Power Mac G5s will sport a completely new motherboard design utilizing DDR 400 RAM as well as AGP 8x graphics, FireWire 800 (FireWire 2), and USB 2.0, sources said. "In the box" connectivity among the news systems is based on Hypertransport -- a universal chip-to-chip interconnect developed by AMD and partners -- which provides 64-bit addressing and will replace Apple's multilevel_bus architecture found in current systems. This royalty-free technology sports a low manufacturing cost and is capable of transferring data at up to 12.8 Gigabytes per second.

The new Power Macs will be powered by IBM's 64 bit PPC 970 processor, otherwise known to Apple Marketing as the the "G5." Initial offerings of the Power Mac G5 are said to boast 1.4 to 1.8GHz, single core PPC 970 processors, with the possibility of a dual 1.8GHz chips shortly thereafter

...BUT WHAT WILL THEY LOOK LIKE??!?!??!?!

Graphite said:
I thought motorola made all the g3 and g4..? i guess i be wrong!

Thats what I thought as well...

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, IBM definitely makes G3's but not G4's. The G3 in my iBook was made by IBM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Motorola made the first G3's. But the 800mhz and 1ghz G3 are made by IBM. Supposedly the 1ghz G3 by IBM is better than an 700mhz G4 by motorola, I'm not sure on the price comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, interesting..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.