Grandfathering Cingular Plan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
This Saturday I plan on buying an iPhone. I got my macbook almost 3 months ago and I decided to replace another device with an Apple product. Anyway, I want to grandfather my Treo 650 Cingular plan of $50voice/$20 mediamax(unlimited data and 200 text messages) over to the new iPhone. Any suggestions when I go sign up for this. I plan on going to an apple store, as if i go to an ATT store they may get mad because I am not supposed to have mediamax on my treo650, but instead the pda connect.
THANKS!

OP
davidgallant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
bump. i am buying it this weekend..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
What do you mean you want to grandfather your plan?

I'm not really sure but they will probably make you upgrade your plan when you buy a new phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
They will make you switch plans. Because they do not activate it at the store. You have to take it home to activate it where you will be forced to pick on of the plans for that phone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unless you plan on using your Treo's SIM card in the iPhone, dakineyj is correct in that you will most likely be forced to get the $60 plan through iTunes.

You should keep in mind that the iPhone plan comes with unlimited data and 200 text messages as well, along with Visual Voicemail, something you may not get by using your current plan.

OP
davidgallant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
Oh, I guess I was just expecting something else when I read "Data Plans

If you're an existing AT&T (formerly Cingular) wireless customer on a qualifying rate plan, just add an iPhone Data Plan. (This may replace your current data plan. Some voice plans, including TDMA, may not qualify. Call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 or visit an AT&T store to see if your plan qualifies.) iPhone Data Plans give you Visual Voicemail, SMS Text Messaging bundles, and Unlimited Data, which includes both email and web.

You'll add iPhone data plan during the activation process."

Area qualifying plans just iPhone plans? thanks for the info before I made a fool of myself at the store.

Reaction score
You should be able to just drop the data plan that you have now and replace it with the iPhone data plan. Seeing as they require you to have the iPhone data you don't need the mediamax.

When I activated mine I kept the current Cingular plan I have and just added the iPhone data plan for the $20.

OP
davidgallant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
ok awesome. thanks so much for the info smokingfetus. i can't wait to get away from the campus for a weekend and get my iphone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I did the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OP
davidgallant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
I imported my old voice plan and data plan, added the apple iphone data plan, and att automatically deleted my old data plan from my treo 650!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.