FM Transmitter... Do any of them really work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I have had an Itrip and a Belkin. They're OK if you have no other choice.

None of them are as good as plugging into an aux or a proper Ipod connector.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If so, which have you used that are any good?

What kind of car do you have? If it's relatively new, (less than 10 years old), chances are you can find a device that will allow you to directly connect the iPod.

I agree, the FM transmitters are irritating - especially in some cars where the antenna is nowhere near the dashboard. If worse comes to worse, you can always get a wired FM transmitter. These plug into the antenna port on the back of your radio and aren't as susceptible to interference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Are you asking about FM transmitters for the iPhone specifically, or FM transmitters in general?

If the latter, I have a Griffin iTrip that you plug into a 12v socket and the dock connector on my 4G iPod and it's absolutely great. The sound quality is a big step up from my former iTrip that connected to the headphone jack. Plus, it acts as a charger for my iPod, which is great because I never have to take it out of the car and charge it on a nightly basis like I had to before.

Now if only Apple would release an update that would allow the iPhone to work with all FM transmitters instead of just the iPhone specific ones, I would be a happy man.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, I am looking for something to use with my new Classic. I got an itrip today, and took it right back, just horrible quality. I do have a question though, do you get better quality from the audio jack or the ipod connector?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely from the dock connector, hands down. I have had iTrips for both, the dock connector just blows the headphone jack one away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
A wired connection will sound better than a wireless connection. I bought an iTrip and I had to keep my iPod a few inches from my stereo and it still had some interference. But my antenna is in the back of my car so that probably didn't help. I went out and bought a whole new head unit for my car. It was like $140 but it had the aux in the front so I can plug my iPhone right into it. The quality is great. Oh yea, I had to return my iTrip the day after I bought it because it quit completely on me. That's when I exchanged it for a new stereo. I wouldn't recommend those transmitters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well yea, a wired connection is always better than a FM connection. But some people either don't want to or can't afford to replace their head unit, so a FM transmitter works well for them.

I wish I had an Aux port in my car. My sister has one in her TSX and I don't like her for it... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
I have the iPod2Car setup in my truck and my iPhone doesn't work with it. It says it's not compatible with iPhone or something like that. Is somebody gonna release something that's compatible with the iPhone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.