• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The new Zune

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think they have some potential: 3.2" screen to Apple's 2.5", all DRM-free music, ability to handle multiple formats and wireless syncing. They'll never be able to overtake the iPod, but they have an opportunity when Apple is in some troubled waters.

Reaction score
You can tell they're getting better at copying the features.
I'm not sure Apple should be too concerned, but price is definitely a factor here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am glad they finally have a touch sensitive pad. I hated that click button. One thing that would stop me from every purchasing one is it will not sync with OSX or anything else but XP and Vista. They are for sure nicer than the first generation versions! Much better Microsoft.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I think they have some potential: 3.2" screen to Apple's 2.5", all DRM-free music, ability to handle multiple formats and wireless syncing. They'll never be able to overtake the iPod, but they have an opportunity when Apple is in some troubled waters.

But it is still ugly and clumsy looking. The menu interface is probably still awkward to use. These two things are what really sets the iPod apart from others. You have ALWAYS been able to get a better spec-ed mp3 players for cheaper than the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I don't think it is ugly. I prefer the ipod interface but as far as looks go I could see buying either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
There are two really good things here. One is that there's direct competition for the iPod. That helps influence improvements (versus just changes) to the iPod. The other is a significant vote for the legitimacy of DRM-free music. Apple went the route, then Amazon, and now Microsoft. Sure, others have gone that way, but these are major players.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I really like the wireless syncing option. I wish I could do that with my iPhone, that would be really sweet.

And I don't think they look ugly either. If Microsoft had made the first generation Zune look like this, it would have done a lot better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I think that these changes start to move the Zune up the food chain, making it a serious contender. At present, I don't see a real challenge to the iPod, but they can certainly start to chew up some market share and become a really solid number two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It looks better than the old one, but that squarish wheel looks weird and ugly - is it round, or... what? My 80Gb classic was over £100 cheaper than the Zune - the extra features wouldn't be of any use to me.

The colours are less than inspiring - I'll take a camouflage green one, please...?

Reaction score
It's like Vista, they copied Apple and not extremely well, they're years behind in the mp4 market

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
One good thing they did was make all the new Zune software backwards compatible with the old Zunes and accessories. That was a real hard hit at Apple's new iPods!

You can tell they're getting better at copying the features.

It's like Vista, they copied Apple and not extremely well, they're years behind in the mp4 market

What exactly, do you see in this new Zune that you think is copied from Apple?

It looks better than the old one, but that squarish wheel looks weird and ugly - is it round, or... what?

The wheel is odd, but I think it's a move on their part to be original and try to NOT look like an iPod or anything else, albeit not a great move.

I don't think it's ugly, I think it's just much different from the iPod. And if you're used to seeing and loving the iPod all the time, anything will look bad in your eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you compare an iPod side by side with the new Zune, you can see a world of difference. Microsoft's product still looks clunky and odd, vs. the sleek smooth look of the iPods. I don't see the new Zune as serious competition. IMHO, it is STILL a pretty ugly device.

Reaction score
It is a good thing. This Zune looks much better then the first one. It's definitely time that someone gave Apple competition for the iPod, because I think Apple is becoming a bit lazy in their design and their quality because they feel safe with 70% or so market share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a good thing. This Zune looks much better then the first one. It's definitely time that someone gave Apple competition for the iPod, because I think Apple is becoming a bit lazy in their design and their quality because they feel safe with 70% or so market share.

Interesting... what makes you think they are growing lazy? I look at the new iPod Touch and think that they are charging full steam ahead to protect and grow that share, not sitting back and resting on their laurels.

Reaction score
Interesting... what makes you think they are growing lazy? I look at the new iPod Touch and think that they are charging full steam ahead to protect and grow that share, not sitting back and resting on their laurels.

Granted, the iPod Touch is a nice design.

But I think they could've done better on the Shuffle and Nano. Is there even a point in calling the shuffle 3G? They just changed the colors. The Nano was ok, but I don't think the mainstream consumer sees the nano as small anymore. It got bigger, and that seems kind of backwards for something that calls itself "nano"

JRV

Reaction score
I think the new Zune looks way better than the last. Apples new designs for the Nano's look terrible. They got bigger and those colors are hideous. I agree with what PinkLemonade said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have either of you actually seen the new Nano in person? It's really not that big. Sure, the screen got a little wider, but it's still a sleek little device. You can still stick it in your pocket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo 1.25Gb Ram
man microsoft will never be able to compete with apple i mean look at the zunes design its big thick ugly they will never be able to come up with he beautiful design of the new ipods that apple introduced

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Have either of you actually seen the new Nano in person? It's really not that big. Sure, the screen got a little wider, but it's still a sleek little device. You can still stick it in your pocket.

Agreed. In person, the thing is tiny.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.