dvd burning issues

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can help - this is my first post here so apologies if I don't have the etiquette correct - I've posted this on hardware, even though I'm half convinced it's a OSX problem, but anyway..

so, I have a 9 month old IMac, dual core 17" (which i love btw). For the first 7 months the Imac superdrive would happily burn DVDs - I'd guess around 100 error free burns, and was not picky about media either. Then it suddenly stopped burning the Memorex DVD-R's that it had previously burnt with no problems. Error was - Error code 0x8002006D using Finder, and Media Error/Laser claibration error using Toast. After trying different media it seemed the drive would only burn Sony DVD-Rs. Ok, it's a hassle, but one I could live with. Now, it will not burn anything at all, and in fact will not even read the blank DVDs - simply spits them out. In the meantime, I can burn CDs and read original DVDs no problem, which would suggest there's no problem with teh drive.

I've looked at various discussions on Apple's own board, and this problem seems to crop up at a quite alarming rate, with no solution.

Anyone on here got any ideas at all - other than replacing the drive?

many thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
further info

I've cleaned the drive, reset pram, relaunched finder, rebooted, repaired permissions, closed all other programs, reduced burn speed to 1x and still no luck - these were all suggested fixes on other forums.

this problem only manifested itself after upgrade from 10.4.9 - now running 10.4.10

thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Reaction score
If the computer is only 9 months old, it is still under warranty. Why not let Apple deal with it?

OP
S
Reaction score
yes, you are right i suppose - my main problem is that I cannot work without my mac, I'm freelance and I actually think it's a software rather than hardware problem. But I guess it's the only option..
thanks

Reaction score
I've cleaned the drive, reset pram, relaunched finder, rebooted, repaired permissions, closed all other programs, reduced burn speed to 1x and still no luck - these were all suggested fixes on other forums.

this problem only manifested itself after upgrade from 10.4.9 - now running 10.4.10

thanks all.

Can you try reverting back to either OS 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 and see if your dvd works again. My friend, after updating to 10.4.10, his external devices wasnt working, his ext HD could not be detected. When he reverted to 10.4.8, everything was back to normal. Hope this would help.

OP
S
Reaction score
how would i do that?

i have original tiger discs from my powerbook and the OSX install discs from the IMAC....

thanks

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I wiped the drive, cleaned the lend, rebooter, slowed burn speeds, tried media from other manufacturers - all to no avail. I went to an apple store to try to buy an external burner since the cost would probably be about the same as an out of warranty repair, but they were no help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would try different media, anything other than Memorex. Like TDK, Verbatim, Maxell or Imation.

Reaction score
I also tried the methods employed by "sutibuda". I also wiped the hard drive, tried reinstalling older operating systems, used Apple's software diagnostics, tried DVD lens cleaning discs, and even blew out the inside of the chassis with compressed air. Nothing works. Like you, I have used Memorex DVD's without problems for a long time. I tried other brands after getting the same burn error (0x8002006D). I searched other forums and databases and have not found any others who have solved this problem , so I guess my only option is to pay Apple for my out of warranty repair. I thought about just buying en external drive since one would cost about as much as a repair. New externals are faster than my repaired 4X superdrive would be. But I came across a post elsewhere of someone who had an external drive and was still getting the same error message. I am afraid our only route is to pay Apple to fix our superdrives...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.