Slow response to keyboard input

Reaction score
I noticed last night that our iMac is not responding readily to keyboard input. There are delays, especially when online. This is rather annoying. I know with the PCs I have had a restart usually fixes this. I restarted, and it is SLIGHTLY better, but it even has delays in MS Word (Office 2004). What can I do? It is:

G3 600MHz
1GB RAM
OSX 10.3.9

We have not had a Mac in 10 years, so this is all new again. We got this li'l puppy on the cheap from a coworker.

Help!?!???

OP
L
Reaction score
Has no one encountered this issue? I'm hardwired to the router right now. I thought it might be the wireless adapter, but it still occurs this way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Do you have another keyboard to try. To see if it causes the same issue. Cause this problem happening on word also makes me think a hardware and no an internet issue. And also is the problem occuring in applications like text edit and other such apps which require a keyboard to use?

And judging by the specs of your computer doing basic things like going online should be easy for it to handle. Still it's a good idea to check out the Activity Monitor (an app) to see if the issue is a running out of ram problem.

And as a final response doing a repair of permissions or hard disk repair with the system boot disc can sometimes fix things up.

Well if none of that works, then I'm stumped.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks. It's typing faster now, but I don't know why.

Internet scrolling is still slow, though (although better).

Video clips do not play well at ALL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well it is quite an old computer and online videos are surprisingly processor intensive, so you're bound to see a fair bit of choppiness unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
I've found this to be a problem with all of the older Macs that I've used. And even my MBP has issues if I want to continue typing while a dock icon is bouncing at me. I can't offer any suggestions, unfortunately, beyond turning the key repeat rate up and seeing if that helps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Aptmunich on the video choppiness. Every once in a while especially in Colloquy during an IRC chat with many other applications working and after chatting for hours, I get some jerking while typing. Happened tonight at the end of a very long chat session. If I close colloquy down and restart things are smooth again. Don't notice it in email, iChat or Adium, ETC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.