OS 10.4.xx not recognized??

Reaction score
So up until a few days ago, my mac mini has worked flawlessly.

Starting with my Adobe InDesign losing a plug-in and not being able to open, to now most of my programs are not working because the error message says..these are just a few...
Picture2.png

Picture1.png

Picture5.png

Now, keep in mind that I was using both of these programs just like normal just a few days ago.

Also, anytime I go to a website with a java environment (i.e. godaddy's ftp client) my browser will crash. I am so lost and really need to get this fixed.

Another thing I noticed that was crazy is when I click the Apple>About This Mac the window does not show my current OS version...not too sure what that means.

Picture4.png

TIA
-Corey

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
See where it says Serial Number? Point with the mouse pointer at that and click. It will change. Two clicks then the version will show. There are 3 options, Version, Build and Serial.

OP
C
Reaction score
See where it says Serial Number? Point with the mouse pointer at that and click. It will change. Two clicks then the version will show. There are 3 options, Version, Build and Serial.

I clicked it twice, once, a ton...it didn't change.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can say it does here and on 10.3 and 10.4. Where are you clicking? I am left clicking on the text Serial Number.

OP
C
Reaction score
it doesn't matter where I click it doesn't change. I am within a few hundred bucks of getting a new iMac and I just want this one to hold out for a bit longer. but it is really hindering me as I still have things I have to get done, now.

I hope there is a solution...without having to start from scratch

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something is wrong as it works here on every machine in the house.

I am clicking on the version right under osx where yours shows the serial number. Right on the text serial Number. My Mouse Pointer is shown in the screen shot. That is where I am clicking.

namechange1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
Something is wrong as it works here on every machine in the house.

I am clicking on the version right under osx where yours shows the serial number. Right on the text serial Number.

trust me, I realize something is wrong. lol

I am hoping someone, somewhere has experienced this and knows a route back to normal.

After searching all over the internet, the only thing I have found is that 10.4.10 update screws up some machine's audio properties. this update also makes a crackling noise from the speakers (which I noticed mine doing when all of this started). the only thing is that all of the people who have experienced the audio problem did not experience anything else. so as of right now, I am completely on my own.

The hardest part about searching the web is using the correct terminology. usually i am pretty good at finding an answer to most problems but I am completely stuck this time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would help but need to know what version you are running. I have never seen that problem where it would not let you change when clicking there.

This might help, what machine (Mac) are you running? Specs?

OP
C
Reaction score
Mac Mini PPC 1.5 Ghz, 512 mb ram it is completely updated to 10.4.10

i always just run the updates as they pop up, I never thought to check to see if anyone has any problems with them.

if you need any other specs let me know.

OP
C
Reaction score
on a side note, yesterday I tried to redownload the universal update for 10.4.10 and after downloading the .dmg file's name was jumbled..
Picture7.png

if I try to click that, it says file not recognized. Now if I open it and then open the package...i get this...
Picture8.png

could some kind of java error be the cause of all this?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What was the last item you loaded before you started having the problem?

Or what was the last task you preformed before the problem started?

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm not really sure. I was working working in InDesign when the computer first started being quarky. then I was working on a web banner in flash when i realized that everything else was going haywire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.