Dual booting linux/OS X & replacing combo drive

M

mode7girl

Ok, first question is, has anyone installed yellow dog linux on a powerbook & configured it to dual boot so you can select the OS on startup? Secondly, can you buy a superdrive separate from a powerbook and install it yourself? If so, who's the best parts supplier?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I know nothing about Yellow Dog Linux. I did get a PowerPC version of Knoppix, wouldn't work on my PowerBook, and froze up my iMac...

And replacing the combo drive with a Superdrive would void your warranty. I don't know if your okay with that. If you are, I recomend searching Google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yes, I've tried Yellowdog linux on a Mac. I only recommend this if the Mac is going to be a pure server. Dual booting between Yellowdog and OS X is just silly, since OS X has 'nix already built in.

Secondly, yes you can buy a superdrive at the expense of voiding your warranty. You can buy them at www.pbfixit.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.