Mighty mouse too prone to getting dirty

Reaction score
Hi

My Mighty Mouse has become useless, I cannot scroll down. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time I fixed it by cleaning the ball as the Apple site describes.

But now no amount of rubbing the ball upsie down will make it work correctly.

Is there any other way to clean it? Like a normal mouse, by taking it apart!?

Jake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Amazing, isn't it? Laser technology coupled with a cave man trackball.

Try this:

Get alcohol, cotton swabs, and rubbing alcohol. Wet the swab. Then roll the wet end of the swab over the ball. A lot. Press hard. In all directions. Then use the dry end.

Any luck?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have it working now, by following the YouTube video.

I hope Apple have seen that video and realise that its possible the worst product they have, and the worst mouse ever created.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
How long have you had it? You could always stop by your Apple Store and get it replaced. Mine stopped scrolling up completely and I went to the store. They replaced it right then: no questions asked, no testing. The nice thing is I bought it with my MBP and Applecare, so it's covered for 3 years!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I had this problem, did the cleaning thing to no avail, so having nothing to lose, ripped the thing apart and cleaned it completely.

It worked OK for a few weeks, then stopped again. I'm afraid while they're as elegantly engineered as you'd expect from Apple, they're not really very tough. I'm not particularly careful with my kit mind you.

I binned it and got an MS basic optical.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.