installing OSX10.4 on my old G4 533MHZ via external DVD drive.

Reaction score
Hiya Everybody,

Can somebody please advise me regarding ;D I am using the original disk for 10.4 and the installation process went fine up until I have to restart my computer and then the problem occured. The problem is that I have a grey screen with a stop sign on it. It won't let me get to my desktop. I have restart the computer several times holding down the C key but still no joy. I have the original disk what came with the computer Power Mac G4 software restore/Power Mac G4 software install/Apple Hardware Test. If i have to use these disks will that mean that i will lost everything that is on my computer now.

Look forward to hearing from you

KR

Paul
Kulcha Productions

Hi Machead case,

Thanks for your swift respones,

I have the upto date firmwire needed but I am still having no joy. I have try to set my startup disk to partition drive what has OSX 10.4 on it, doesn't work, Try to boot up from the original Disk doesn't work. I am pulling my hair out. Please advise my on other options.

KR

Kulchapro

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, kulchapro.

How did you install OS C 10.4.x from the external DVD to the Mac? Holding down the Option key on startup?

And did you install the firmware update for your model? According to this article, your model is known as the Power Mac G4 Digital Audio and there is indeed a firmware update available for it at Apple's website.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Machead case,

Thanks for your swift respones,

I have the upto date firmwire needed but I am still having no joy. I have try to set my startup disk to partition drive what has OSX 10.4 on it, doesn't work, Try to boot up from the original Disk doesn't work. I am pulling my hair out. Please advise my on other options.

KR

Kulchapro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.