Monitor question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
This is what I'm trying to figure out without any luck. I have my monitor connected to my MacBook Pro and when I close the notebook it automatically goes into sleep mode. Is there a way to keep it from going into this mode while closed shut and being able to work on the connect monitor?

OP
Maul
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I figured it out...

To operate your portable computer with an external monitor attached and the display closed:

1. Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your portable.

2. Connect the power adapter to the portable and a power outlet.

3. Close the portable display to put the computer to sleep.

4. Connect your portable to an external display.

5. Wait a few seconds and then press any key on the external keyboard to wake the portable.

I guessed there is a reason for the help section :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I know many people have a problem with this issue. Having the lid closed and connecting to a monitor. BUT, I would suggest against doing this. This forum has mentioned this issue many times.

My reasoning. As you know, the MBP has some heat issues. The MBP releases plenty of heat through the keyboard area when it is operating (not during sleep mode). So, connecting the computer to a monitor and going full throttle with the lid closed might raise some heat issues with your processors and over working your fans. Plus, your MBP screen might be negatively affected.

Just my side on this topic. :)

Reaction score
once youve got it going you can re open the display and it wont turn back on. so it helps with cooling.

OP
Maul
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I know many people have a problem with this issue. Having the lid closed and connecting to a monitor. BUT, I would suggest against doing this. This forum has mentioned this issue many times.

My reasoning. As you know, the MBP has some heat issues. The MBP releases plenty of heat through the keyboard area when it is operating (not during sleep mode). So, connecting the computer to a monitor and going full throttle with the lid closed might raise some heat issues with your processors and over working your fans. Plus, your MBP screen might be negatively affected.

Wow, good call yellow19man, I would hate to cause any problems to my mbp. And nokialed thanks for sharing your tip. I will do this from now on.

Reaction score

i don't know about the macbook pro, but the macbook vents from the back, not from the keyboard. also, if using the macbook like this causes problems, then why does apple include these instructions on their website.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300562

i also read somewhere in this forum that when connecting the power adapter, mouse, keyboard, and external display; this redirects the venting towards the back (if some heat does vent from the keyboard).

worse case scenario, your screen is messed up because you used it according to apple guidelines. they should be responsible for a screen replacement then (assuming you still have warranty).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.